1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Grounded Snowy Owl

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drr1531, Oct 24, 2018.

1. I love shooting BIF so much that sometimes I don't give adequate attention to static bird images. But here's one from last winter. The haze effect is due to blowing snow. I got this one good frame when the bird popped its head up for a look at me. Then it tucked its neck back down and squinted its eyes against the wind. So did I...

D500/80-400 AF-S@400mm

p3137509354-6.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Excellent. I love the b/w and then the yellow eyes!

3. eric d.

eric d.

Apr 19, 2018
    Germany
    Eric
    i`m just a jealous guy, because i`ve never seen such a beauty wildlife:

fantastic !!

4. Jeff1

Jeff1

Mar 26, 2017
    Ferndale, WA
    Jeff
    Great shot! I've never seen one of those in the wild. Jeff

5. Incredibly beautiful shot.

6. Thanks for looking and commenting, folks. Glad you enjoyed the photo. This was shot in some terrible conditions. The only saving grace was that it was cold enough that the sideways blowing snow didn't stick to the lens. Just had to shake it out of the hood now and then.

7. You mentioned you like shooting oif more than sitting owls. I agree but want to mention conditions in New Hampshire. There have been 3 or 4 here, along the coast. Word gets out and whenever you seen one there are probably 20-e0 people there. The owls just sit watching the people (nervously I suppose.) Ween I see a snowy owl in flight I always assume it was because it was spooked by a person.

8. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    Beautiful - absolutely beautiful. We have owls in my area but I haven't found their nest yet.

9. That's a pet peeve of mine. It's disappointing how many photographers will intentionally flush birds in order to get a flight shot. Anterior view BIF images are a good indicator. It also amazes me how many people assume that behavior(relative to human presence) is common to the species. Very few people recognize that animals have personalities just like we do. Some are more nervous than others and will fly before you can get within 100 yards of them. Others couldn't care less that people are around, often quite close. With a bit of observation one can learn to read their body language reasonably well.

This particular bird was extremely tolerant. Presumably because it was hanging around the barns/silos of a busy farm complex and was therefore accustomed to a lot of human activity.
    Unfortunately owls(and birds in general) are pretty good at hiding nests. Though snowies will nest on just the slightest high spot the ground .

10. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Superb image, Dan!

11. One for the books Dan, the haze gives uniqueness to it and the BW effect and then the yellow eyes as well, love it!

12. Wall-hanger for sure.

13. Thanks, Karen.
    It is an interesting effect with the blowing snow. Definitely helped to achieve subject isolation.
    Thanks, Jim. Yes I'll likely print this one. I tend to favor metal or canvas wraps but with so much white this one may look better framed.
    Thanks, Randy.
    Thanks, Bob.

14. Super shot Dan!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.