Group portrait with single on-camera flash

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 5, 2005.

1. I was taking test pictures of a potential wedding client this afternoon, and snapped a group photo of the bride-to-be, her mom, and grandma.

Re technique, I positioned the subjects in open shade, metered the background, and then adjusted manual settings to underexpose the background by 1 f/stop. I illuminated the subjects with an on-camera flash, dialed back by -2/3 ev and softened by a Lumiquest softbox. My lens was The Beast (Nikon 28-70/2.8 ).

Nothing better than getting mom and grandma on my side ;). I'm hoping this sample will land me the wedding.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I was thinking just that Frank. Those glowing, smiling faces should do the trick! Great shot with nearly minimal equipment.

I like the exposure setup, I saw this on another thread. I'll try the formula next time I have a dark background like that.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. I described the way I meant to take the picture... and the way I remember taking the picture. Who are you going to believe, me or the EXIF data?

Maybe my memory is faulty and I screwed up. Then, as my old man used to tell me, I suggest you do as I say, not as I do :tongue:.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Very well balanced shot UF. I've been experimenting with flash a bit and am amazed at the results... I bet that wedding is in the bag for you!

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Frank,

Given how good the shot came out, maybe you should have said do as I did, not as I say

8. John, I've always said that I'd rather be lucky than good :Crunk:.