Group portrait with single on-camera flash

I was taking test pictures of a potential wedding client this afternoon, and snapped a group photo of the bride-to-be, her mom, and grandma.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Re technique, I positioned the subjects in open shade, metered the background, and then adjusted manual settings to underexpose the background by 1 f/stop. I illuminated the subjects with an on-camera flash, dialed back by -2/3 ev and softened by a Lumiquest softbox. My lens was The Beast (Nikon 28-70/2.8 ).

Nothing better than getting mom and grandma on my side ;). I'm hoping this sample will land me the wedding.

Real Name
Chris
Uncle Frank said:
Nothing better than getting mom and grandma on my side ;). I'm hoping this sample will land me the wedding.
I was thinking just that Frank. Those glowing, smiling faces should do the trick! Great shot with nearly minimal equipment.

I like the exposure setup, I saw this on another thread. I'll try the formula next time I have a dark background like that.

I described the way I meant to take the picture... and the way I remember taking the picture. Who are you going to believe, me or the EXIF data?

Maybe my memory is faulty and I screwed up. Then, as my old man used to tell me, I suggest you do as I say, not as I do :tongue:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncle Frank said:
I described the way I meant to take the picture... and the way I remember taking the picture. Who are you going to believe, me or the EXIF data?

Maybe my memory is faulty and I screwed up. Then, as my old man used to tell me, I suggest you do as I say, not as I do :tongue:.
Frank,

Given how good the shot came out, maybe you should have said do as I did, not as I say

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom