1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Grouse

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bsinc1962, May 9, 2018.

1. I was on a fire road this morning looking for Grizzlies and shooting some Elk pictures when this Grouse got all fired up. I guess I must have been too close to a nest. I'm still not sure what type of Grouse this is. Doesn't match up to any books I have.

Grouse Profile.
    NIKON D500    300.0 mm f/4.0    300mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    ISO 280
    Grouse Yell.
    NIKON D500    300.0 mm f/4.0    300mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    ISO 220
    Grouse Pose.
    NIKON D500    300.0 mm f/4.0    300mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    ISO 250
    Grouse Jump.
    NIKON D500    300.0 mm f/4.0    300mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    ISO 250

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm pretty sure it's a male Blue Grouse. Great shots.

3. Terrific shots of a great bird. BTW, love Dubios go through there almost every year.

4. Thanks. Couldn't find it in the local bird books I have.

5. Swing by next time you're passing through.

6. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    Nice set. I really like the combination of action and great detail in the last one.

7. The Blue Grouse name disappeared when the species was split into Sooty and Dusky Grouse in 2006. The Latin binomial for Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus) is the same as for Blue Grouse, however. Wyoming has only Dusky Grouse.

Larry

8. Thanks Larry. My Sibley guide (2003) only shows them as "distinct populations."

9. My Sibley is a few years older than that!

Larry

10. Beautifully sharp photos, Bsinc. That's a bird I'm not familiar with. Doesn't look much like our eastern ruffed grouse.

11. Thanks, I'd never seen one until this morning either.

12. Thanks for this. What threw me off was that in the books I have as well as the Merlin app the Male Dusky is always shown when they're showing off mating. They have an area on the shoulder of bright red and in this case I saw none of that.

I've seen plenty of Sage Grouse and Roughed Grouse but this was a first for me.

13. Excellent captures(y), great looking bird.

14. Excellent photos. I just spent a bunch of time going through iBird Pro looking to id this guy, before reading down far enough to see that Larry had already nailed it. That'll teach me to read the whole thread first! :) 

15. Well taken shots. My favorite is #2.

16. Thanks, mine too.

17. awesome treat, great shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.