Growing up

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Terri French, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Little Harlee is here with us this weekend. I still had my studio set up in my basement from an earlier shoot. Harlee has beens such a stinker about having her photo taken, but after she got dressed this morning I took her down and let her play with the light for a minute. She sat down in front of the camera for a few seconds and I got this shot. She WON'T smile if you have the camera pointed at her and she know it.

EDIT:
    I'm going to rework this photo later today. I'm off to work now but have found a few things I want to change.

original.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  2. You need to get a remote and get out from behind the camera. If Harlee can look at you and talk to you, she won't be able to resist smiling. I know I couldn't :wink:.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  3. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    This is a nice shot Terri. Even though she isn't smiling it's a good natural shot. Did her ribbons have black in them because the left side looks like her hair is cut or missing?

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Frank,
    How could you use a remote when they are constantly moving. It would be so hard to get the focus right?

Phil,
    The ribbon did have a dark color in it. I'll rework the photo and see if I can bring out the ribbon a bit. Thanks for noticing it. I overlooked that detail.

5. She seemed to be holding still for your sample, so I'd think it's mostly a matter of encouraging that behavior, by making her feel like a participant in creating a picture. Try showing her the image on the LCD immediately after you capture a snapshot of her. Once she establishes there's a causal relationship between posing and starring on the little tv, you won't be able to stop her from posing.

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I tried all that. She's just a VERY active little girl who doesn't sit still for more than about 5 seconds at a time.

Maybe Shelby will be a better model. I'm sure once Harlee gets a little older she will be better. Jaden sure has improved now that he is 3 1/2.

Toddlers are so hard..... The twins are impossible. Candids are all I can get of them.

7. Shelby's very easy right now... she just lies there - lol.

But you're doing a terrific job with them, Terri. I hope I can do half as well with Shelby and those that, hopefully, come after her ;-).