1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Guess what lens I just got???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sclamb, Apr 27, 2007.

1. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

2. infamous 85mm F1.4

Very nice!

3. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Doh, too quick! Easy to spot I guess :smile:

I just can't undersand why I didn't get one of these a long time ago.

[​IMG]

4. Oh Simon... excellent portraits... and the DoF... :eek: 

Oppsss... I feel that itch again...better hide the wallet... :biggrin:

5. Way to go Simon, yet another one!! Go easy on the sharpening though, I think these may be over sharpened a tad.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sweet and congrats...but if u want both eye's in focus you're guna need a little more distance between the camera and the model ....;-))

7. Winniman

Winniman

Dec 19, 2006
    Canada
    Damn it!
    No, no I didn't see this thread!

8. Well if you left the EXIF in it's quite obvious, isn't it? :biggrin:
    Looks like you already enjoy it.

9. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks Panos. The one thing that hits oyu straiht away about this lens is the razor thin DOF. Reminds me of the Leica Noctilux. I think the 85mm @ f/1.4 is definitely a lens to manually focus a lot of the time to get it right where you want it.

Thanks Frits. I will look out for the sharpening. I used my normal sharpening on these and thought, because they were at f/1.4, they would be OK, but this lens seems to be plenty sharp at f/1.4 and could use less sharpening.

Thanks Nuteshack. I want to stay close and let this baby work its magic. I don't normally go for such a big difference between the two eyes, but I figured since I now have f/1.4 to play with I would go to the extreme :smile:

Yes you did! Lens lust is a wonderful thing :biggrin:

Good point Daniel! I think I am going to love this lens :smile:

10. Great shots.

11. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks Sarah. I think we will both be having fun with these 1.4 lenses. I look forward to seeing your pictures in the days and weeks to come.

12. Come on, Simon. Let's see you take the same shot with your AF-S 500 f/4 I while you still have it! I think you would be pleased with its results, too, but you would simply have to be a little further back. :wink:

In any case, congratulations on your 85mm f/1.4. I think you'll definitely enjoy using this lens!

Regards,

Paul

13. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks Paul. I never thought of the 500mm as a portrait lens, but at least the girls would be acting naturally as I took the pics :smile:

14. Ya' know, I don't care what Nikon comes up with for the next generation of cameras. I just love the way the X renders skin... so natural. And you put that lens on that camera and it's breathtaking.

15. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    I agree completely. I wish I had bought this lens a long time ago. I had the 85/1.8 with my F5 which was also a great lens, but there is just an immediate magic about the 85/1.4.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.