Guess what ?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Dec 15, 2005.

1. I took the old *not_working_anymore* Fuji S2 out of the draw, put an old Nikkor 105 f/2.5 AIS on it and shot again some physalis, just to see the difference with the D70 images...

Although the S2 now only works with MANUAL lenses (and after each shot, i get an ERR message, so i have to put the camera OFF and re-start it), there is a HELL of a difference with the D70 in term of overall colors, contrast and rendition "OUT OF THE BOX" ! Of course, with some careful PS work, i can -now- get about the same quality out of the D70, but it needs spending more time than i used to with the S2 !

Since the Nikkor 105 f/2.5 is NOT a macro lens, i had to shoot at it's minimum distance, wich is 1 meter (3 feet), so the following pic is a 50% crop (reduced for Web use) of the whole frame... but WHAT A SHARPNESS !!!

...i have to try this lens on the D70, maybe it will BEAT my old Tamron SP90 ?!?

S2 + Nikkor 105 f/2.5 - 1:125 @ f/11 with flashes - ISO 200 - RAW

53589134.DSCF0763_w.

Cheers,
    J-P.

2. J-P, I had the pleasure of borrowing a coworker's S2 back in the Spring, prior to me buying my D2x. I also have the said lens. I couldn't agree with you more! The Fuji produces spectacular files and that lens is one of the sharpest I've seen. It makes photography fun!!

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    really have to admire the output from the Fuji cameras (TO Lady does a great job with hers). That is one dude of a lens - if you like that one, try the 55/2.8 micro AIS, it's one of the sharpest out there. I believe it is slightly sharper than my old Tamron 90.

4. The plants are amazing, love the image.

5. Hi Patrick ! i just "won" a 55/2.8 two days ago on e-bay... i paid $200.- for it... guess it's a bit expensive, but well... if it's the only way to be able to still use my S2 sometimes, it's worth it !!!

Cheers,
    J-P.

6. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    I think you will love the lens - I know I do. Next go looking for a 200/4 micro AI/AIS. That is another lovely lens, although it takes some getting used to.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent work
    J-P