1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gull flipping fish and swallowing it, osprey fish grab

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Jul 7, 2008.

1. One morning last week Louie, Bill and I were down at the lake to watch the osprey fish. I came too late to get the close up grab Bill and Louie got. I did get to watch this Gull land and grab a big fish and then go up on the finge pier. It played with that fish for a long time. Then another gull came in along with a crow. The gull chased them off, grabbed a smaller fish which I assume was for the others to fight over. The gull finally picked the fish up and swallowed it whole. The crow came in, grabbed the other fish and flew off. Here are a few from that series. The light was not great but the action was sure fun to watch.

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 223543

And then the crow flying off with fish
    View attachment 223544

Now here are some better quality images of the osprey flying at me full frame with fish.

View attachment 223545

View attachment 223546

View attachment 223547

2. Super set Jim. Looks like I missed out again. Very nice close-ups, the last one is tops.

Louie

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Your catching some great action lately

not to mention the talent to bring home the "Bacon" and
    share with us, Cool !! :cool: 

4. Excellent set Jim.

5. you post the most entertaining shots for sure
    these are all great

6. Oh yeah!!!! What a series!

7. Nicely done. An excellent example of how an osprey will face a fish forward to reduce wind resistance as they fly with large prey.

8. Nice series, Jim. The crow shot is very good.

9. Thanks Louie. You left just a few minutes too soon. The action was sure fun to watch. I know Bill and I both got a real laugh out of it.
    Thanks Ben. I guess that is what getting up at 4:00 am does.
    Thanks Phil
    Thanks much Randy
    Thanks Andreas.
    They sure do. It is fun to see up close
    Thanks David. It was my first time every shooting a crow I do believe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.