1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gymnastics Finally Done....High ISO Nationals

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GBRandy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Another season has come and gone and I am so happy to be done with high ISO shooting for awhile. Gymnastics photography has proven to be the most challenging sport to shoot for me not just technically, but in backgrounds and positioning as well. These events are packed on to basketball courts and things are very tight.

The YMCA National Championships were held here in Wisconsin these past four days. 1300 gymnasts from across the country...it was a fun event to watch and shoot.

(My daughter took first place all around with a 35.45 and will be moving on up to level 8 next year BTW...sorry proud parent moment there )

Anyway....some shots from Friday and her level 7 team. EXIF data is all there for you pixel peepers....ISO 1600 - 3200. :biggrin:

Some bar shots.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Beam........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of floor routine shots....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some on the vault.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and a post awards team photo op......
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  2. Excellent set Randy your pictures have come such a long way from the gymnastic pictures you posted last year. These are very nicely done Congrats to your daughter also.

3. Hey Randy,

You did very well!! And many congratulations to your daughter and her team, excellent results for them as well!!!!!! :smile:
    I just love the last shot on the awards stands too, very cool idea and well placed.

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Great shots!
    Number 8, could be cropped from the bottom, and make a SUPER poster.

Some of the later shots....are these girls tested for steroids? It's not normal for girls to fly thru the air like superman..err...supergirl. :biggrin:

Seriously, great peak action captures. I love these shots!

5. wow....

1. congrats to your daughter....
    #1.... awesome
    level 8..... way to go

2. incredible imagery
    extremely well shot

3. thanks for taking the time to share them with us

good luck to your daughter

6. Great body shapes in gymnastics, like that no. 13 shot best

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Well done Randy. I am glad your daughter had a sucessful year.

I agree with Mike - your shots have come a long way. These are great !

8. great shots Randy, and many congratulations to both of you!

9. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    very nice - the vaulting ones are excellent in partcular

10. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Great shots and congrats to your daughter!

Camera/lens?

11. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I really like 9 & 11, but they all pale in comparison to your obvious pride in your daughter's success! Congrats to her, and a pat on the back to the support team who drove her everywhere and took her pics!

12. Congratulations on your daughter's win, and on the spectacular array of images you captured! I'd imagine the team parents are lining up to order prints.

13. Awesome work pal! Congrats to The Squirt too :smile:

Btw, kinda hard to call her a squirt anymore. Growing up to a pretty young lady.

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well done Randy, I know just how poor the indoor lighting is. And congratulations to your daugther.

15. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    The pics are great under very difficult conditions! A special WOW for your daughter! Congrats to you and her!

16. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Mike... I owe alot of thanks to this group for the improvements over the years,

Thanks Steve..daughter happy and pictures worked....that's a good day.

Good point on the crop...I'll do that. Supergirls they are....but teeny tiny mini ones I think.

Thanks Greg. She is quite happy to be moving to level 8. Me? I saw some of the bar routines in level 8 & 9...I ma not so sure this is a good idea anymore :eek: 

I like that one as well....The vault pictures are very tricky to shoot.

Thanks a million....

Thanks!

Hard to shoot those as the require lots of shutter speed...which means lots of light which means lens wide open...which means very small DOF.

Thanks...camera? lens? Uhmmmmm OK... Camera is a Canon MKIIn, lense used were an 85 f1.2; 85 f1.8 50, f1,4 & 135 f2. The EXIF data is there so you can see all my settings.....Hope you don't hate me now. :smile:

Thanks...I am not big on bragging up my kid, but she did remarkably well and did it with some class and dignity with her team mates. That part impressed me the most.

Funny....I used to get weird looks walking in with all the gear. Now I get weird looks if I don't! Parents love me.

Thansk peter...yea. no longer a squirt, she starts driving lessons in August. Me? My counseling sessions start around the same yime :redface:

Yes...the lighting in these gyms stinck. I appreciate that fact that you folks realize just how hard a venue these places are...thanks Frank.

Thanks a million....

..and a general thank you to all of you for your continued support and knowledge on this forum. What a great place to learn and get better. The results are not only fun to see, but this forums input has helped me improve my images and help preserve memories for a lifetime. This truly is a great place.....

17. Cool Set!
    Love the airborn shots.
    Fred

18. Excellent, excellent, excellent! I have always felt I had a bond with you as a fellow gymnastics shooter and I am thrilled to see the results you are getting now. I look forward to my first season shooting gymnastics with the D3 in a couple of months. Congrats to your daughter as well!

19. Awesome and congrats for your daughter! :smile:

20. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Those are the hard ones :) 

Yup....misery loves company. Us gymnastics photog's need all the support we can get! Thanks Anthony....

My daughter & I both thank you.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.