Gypsy Lolita Naiveté

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Removed User 2, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Old shot... Still amazed at the moment. This is a rare reaction. Usually people will just turn away.

Gypsy Lolita Naiveté

Web-72.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Cool Ned, this looks like something by Lauren Greenfield. You know Girl Culture photog from the 80s. But displaced - the tractor lets you know you aren't in Kansas suburbia any more.

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

interesting comp but where's the contrast? Honestly, what am I missing here? Looks thin to me.

4. sweeto girlfriends

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Are you kidding Mike?! Contrast just isn't a problem here - the conceptual center of the picture is the girl's faces - more contrast would take all the shape and subtle expression out of them. The background, including the men in the tractor, are indeed over-exposed, but they should be! They are a backdrop for the girls, and no more.

Photography is about discovering the limits of the process and respecting them. Then, working with-in those boundaries, using them to help with the isolation and emphasis, the photograph will reveal the subject. It's all just an extension of the frame (which is part of every photograph.)

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Images exist on several levels as you well know. I wasn't speaking to the conceptual meaning of this image, that's clear. But on a high end properly calibrated monitor, this image looks flat. As always, I wish I could see it printed out. I hate looking at images on screen and always will. Phooey! Photographs are meant to be viewed as prints. Guess that makes me a dinosaur but you know what? I don't care.

7. love the expression from the whole of the young ladys, it comes across despite the LCD monitor i use. seeing the photographic print would be great, i'm sure it would"beat the digital" out of any highest-end LCD. we'all will be more impoverished as high-tech digitalization finalizes the end of an analog sensorium....

8. A new definition of flat, indeed! Great image, Ned. Good range of tones from white to black. Lots of midtones. All on my monitor calibrated to gamma 2.2 and 85 cdm2.

9. C'mon Mike, this shot is one of Ned's better ones! Certainly not flat (on this monitor).

10. Wonderful shot Nenad, just wonderful...

11. Technical adroitness isn't the end all be all of photography. I'll take a bit of flatness for the expressions on these girls faces anytime. Critically viewing images on the web isn't optimal - there I agree with Big Mike.

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Stephen et al, it was just a personal opinion. I like the comp and idea of this pic but it just lacks depth for me chromatically. Lets just chalk it up to subjectivity.

13. I think it's great.

14. Ned, just saw the rest of the photos on your site. Good stuff!

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's tough being a critic isn't it? It's all about quantifying subjectivity.

But I do know the look you are referring to. I see it in this photo, I see it in most of my scanned negatives, and in those of many others as well. It's not lack of contrast - there is white, and there is black, so any more contrast added to the photo will mean that highlights, shadows or both get lost. But in general, scanned negatives have a look as if there is a haze in the atmosphere. I think that that is particular to scanned negs, and can probably be compensated by adjusting the curve, without affecting the contrast.

The effect however, works positively in many cases.

16. You're right! And it's not in Kansas! :wink:

I found your comment weird because I find it contrasty enough. But I started to question my monitor...

Great post, Chris! "Working within bondaries" is a key phrase.

Dinosaur? Really not. We're all like this but you express what you think. That's just fine!

Yes sir! Print is better. The touch is important too!

Thanks for confirming my monitor is not at fault... :smile:

Thanks Stephen! Nice of you...

Merci Frits! Very Kind!

Technical adroitness? I am not a fan of technical adroitness when street photographing. Technical adroitness will often kill a mood or a moment. Street photographs are all snapshots. The Good street photographs yield a feeling, and for a Feeling to transpire through an image, it needs to be imperfect. IMO.

I totally respect your point of views. You say what you think and that's just great. And of course, you're often right, too.

Thank you!

Chris, Great posts! Thanks!

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That is so true. We're all Iranian weavers at heart.

oh, ps, thanks.

18. We..? er... you got a chipmunk in yer pocket?

:wink:

19. RForshey

RForshey Guest

A wonderfully captured moment Ned. You've got "the" eye for street photography for sure..

20. The eye? I dunno. It's more about Curiosity and a general interest in people and behaviors.

Thanks Randy! Glad to see you around!