H.S Football

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Well it is that time of the year again and H.S football is gearing up to opening day. Today Cherry Hill West ventured up to Radnor Pennsylvania to scrimmage against Archbishop Ryan.
    It sure is ice to shoot H.S football during the day, compared to night games it is a walk in the park. Trying to shake off some of my rust from off season and get my timing and anticipation down. Here are a few from this morning scrimmage
    Portrait type shot
    [​IMG]
    Trying to capture facial expressions or emotion can make a ordinary shot be a standout shot
    [​IMG]
    Busting through the line
    [​IMG]
    Cut off his foot need to work out the kinks yet
    [​IMG]
    Following his blocks
    [​IMG]
    In to the open field
    [​IMG]

2. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Mike,

Some great photographs there dude. Great focus and exposure - the shots all have a ton of pop to them. Were these with the 200-400 afs vr?

Thanks for sharing.

3. I thought your shots last year were good Mike but these are a notch above. The color and detail are excellent.

4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Beautiful work as always Mike!

Just look at the intensity on the young man's face in shot #2. The pop of color and DoF on all of the shots are superb!

Your shots from last year are what I would think back to as I was shooting my daughters soccer games this year. Though with older kids who understand the game, you can often guess where they are going to go. With three and four years olds, it's anybody's guess! :biggrin:

Joe

5. Oh Mike! Those are soooo good. It's like being right on the field, in the action, with them! :smile: How did you get the faces to not be in the shadows: fill flash or selective leveling in post-processing?

Excellent as usual. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Really good looking shots Mike. Bet your loving that 200-400 for this type of situation. Wonder how it's gonna perform with the X, at night when the light's awful?

7. WOW.........in your second shot that guy looks like he is about to RUN OVER someone!!!! :Shocked: :Shocked:

8. Thanks Steve yes this was with the 200-400 I mounted the Markins M20 head and Wimberly sidekick on a monopod and used that setup it was very smooth for trackign action

9. Thanks Gordon, I am enjoying shooting these day scrimmages cause all but two of the games are at night and it is hard shooting in the dungeon.

10. Thanks I so know what you mean about young kids and soccer my daughter played and it was like a big jumbled bunch of rug rats roiling around on the field. I really helps to have older kids and knowledge of the game helps with the anticipation

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know how I missed seeing this thread...these are terrific Mike. The color saturation is exceptional and all are tack sharp. Well done!

12. Thanks I shot as to not overexpose the highlights and then used the DDE function to recover the highlights it works real weel it is a great tool

13. Thanks Steve I will be shooting the 70-200 at night and using NR for sure the H.S field are dark as dungeons

14. He did all day long!!!
    BTW Reggie Brwon is doing well as an eagle

15. Franlk Thanks for looking