H.S Football

Well it is that time of the year again and H.S football is gearing up to opening day. Today Cherry Hill West ventured up to Radnor Pennsylvania to scrimmage against Archbishop Ryan.
It sure is ice to shoot H.S football during the day, compared to night games it is a walk in the park. Trying to shake off some of my rust from off season and get my timing and anticipation down. Here are a few from this morning scrimmage
Portrait type shot
281.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Trying to capture facial expressions or emotion can make a ordinary shot be a standout shot
358.jpg

Busting through the line
390.jpg

Cut off his foot need to work out the kinks yet
352.jpg

Following his blocks
360.jpg

In to the open field
389.jpg

Hey Mike,

Some great photographs there dude. Great focus and exposure - the shots all have a ton of pop to them. Were these with the 200-400 afs vr?

Thanks for sharing.

J

JMartin

Beautiful work as always Mike!

Just look at the intensity on the young man's face in shot #2. The pop of color and DoF on all of the shots are superb!

Your shots from last year are what I would think back to as I was shooting my daughters soccer games this year. Though with older kids who understand the game, you can often guess where they are going to go. With three and four years olds, it's anybody's guess! :biggrin:

Joe

Oh Mike! Those are soooo good. It's like being right on the field, in the action, with them! :smile: How did you get the faces to not be in the shadows: fill flash or selective leveling in post-processing?

Excellent as usual. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Really good looking shots Mike. Bet your loving that 200-400 for this type of situation. Wonder how it's gonna perform with the X, at night when the light's awful?

Wilk said:
Hey Mike,

Some great photographs there dude. Great focus and exposure - the shots all have a ton of pop to them. Were these with the 200-400 afs vr?

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Steve yes this was with the 200-400 I mounted the Markins M20 head and Wimberly sidekick on a monopod and used that setup it was very smooth for trackign action

greyflash said:
I thought your shots last year were good Mike but these are a notch above. The color and detail are excellent.
Thanks Gordon, I am enjoying shooting these day scrimmages cause all but two of the games are at night and it is hard shooting in the dungeon.

JMartin said:
Beautiful work as always Mike!

Just look at the intensity on the young man's face in shot #2. The pop of color and DoF on all of the shots are superb!

Your shots from last year are what I would think back to as I was shooting my daughters soccer games this year. Though with older kids who understand the game, you can often guess where they are going to go. With three and four years olds, it's anybody's guess! :biggrin:

Joe

Thanks I so know what you mean about young kids and soccer my daughter played and it was like a big jumbled bunch of rug rats roiling around on the field. I really helps to have older kids and knowledge of the game helps with the anticipation

I don't know how I missed seeing this thread...these are terrific Mike. The color saturation is exceptional and all are tack sharp. Well done!

Philippe Roger said:
Oh Mike! Those are soooo good. It's like being right on the field, in the action, with them! :smile: How did you get the faces to not be in the shadows: fill flash or selective leveling in post-processing?

Excellent as usual. :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Thanks I shot as to not overexpose the highlights and then used the DDE function to recover the highlights it works real weel it is a great tool

Steve S said:
Really good looking shots Mike. Bet your loving that 200-400 for this type of situation. Wonder how it's gonna perform with the X, at night when the light's awful?
Thanks Steve I will be shooting the 70-200 at night and using NR for sure the H.S field are dark as dungeons

Latest threads

Top Bottom