H1 (iso 1600) Shots in dull circumstances

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vincebeus, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Hi,

After i updated the D2X i looked at the Hi1 and Hi2 (1600/3200 iso settings). I did some test indoor with poor lighting and i found out that it was on 1600 alot better.

Today my mother took 3 photo's outdoor on a dull day from her grandsons with a "zwarte piet" that is something like a elf from santaclaus. But then from some bishop called Sinterklaas.

I have opened the Raw files in Adobe Photoshop changed nothing saved them and resized them for web use. I only wanna show outdoor shot with dull weather. Let me know what you think of the Iso 1600 shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greetings,
    Vince

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    It definitely is much better than my D70 @ ISO 1600. Only noise I can make out is in the dark skin (body paint) of the lady in the center. Do you have some noise reduction turned on in ACR (I think that ACR comes with some color noise reduction turned on by default, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, noise doesn't seem to be a problem in these shots. The pics are pretty clean and clear.

3. Hi Vince,

Good clear images, indeed! :smile: But at that resolution, other than the usual faded colors (clearly not the case here), noise isn't really discernable. Can you post a 100% crop?

I am glad that this firmware upgrade is turning the D2X in what it should have been out of the gate, but I am also not surprised that getting there took more time after the camera was deemed "good enough" to ship. That's a common issue in high-tech products! :wink:

4. I did not have noise reduction on in ACR.

5. How is the best way to make a 100% crop

6. Vince,
    If you have nikon capture just go to view and selet view at 100%. then crop what ever you like and save it for posting here.
    Dave

7. Vince,

The easiest way is to post the original (un-resized) image! :eek: :biggrin: But, it's also kinda big. :redface: :smile:

Otherwise, you can use just about any program (Photoshop, Capture, etc...), view the image as 100% (or 1:1), and crop using the crop tool, grabbing an area of say 300x300 pixels, or 400x400 or whatever you like to show. Save as JPEG as usual, but don't resize.

If you are going to post a crop, please take one of the deep shadows. Thanks, in advance!

8. Hi Phillipe,

I opened the RAW file in ACR made the zoom on 100% and then made a crop and saved it right to a jpg file highest quality setting (12) And this are the three results. From every picture one the first one i made bigger then the last two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope i did it right. Love to hear what you all find of it?

Greetings,
    Vince

9. Vince,

What setting to you have dialed in on the Detail page of ACR for those? The default of 25%, 0, 25? If you want to see the results without any kind of noise reduction applied by PS, it's better to use 0% (no sharpening), 0 (luminance noise), 0 (color noise). Also, is there any kind of noise reduction done in the camera (in the raw data itself) that ACR would be acting upon? I have the feel that there is some noise reduction going on there: there is hardly any color blotches. It could well be the 25 setting on the Color Noise slider in PS.

Regardless, I think these are pretty clean for ISO 1600, and completely useable... for me, at least.

10. Here is a screen capture i just made with the settings of the tab you talk about.

[​IMG]

Hope this is good. I did not change anything

Greetings,
    Vince

11. Vince,

Thank you so much for posting this. I think it clearly shows that ISO 1600 is perfectly useable after the firmware upgrade. True, some additional improvements can be obtained with further post-processing, but it's pretty good as is, definitely much better than my D2H, and probably a bit better than my D70 too! :biggrin:

Thanks again,
    -Philippe

12. I did use iso 1600 on my D70 sometimes i got really great results especially in dull weather. And i allways found the D70 better in ISO 1600 then de D2X but it are two total different camera's. But now after the update at least i noticed that i can use the D2X also on 1600. Iso 3200 i never needed before but it will be bit more useable to.

Look i am not a person to show normally if Iso 1600 is better or not i only showed my own findings what i noticed after the firmware update.

Greetings,
    Vince

13. Vince,

I think these pictures go to show that the firmware did a nice job on high iso's. Even I am not afraid to use the hi iso and then run it through a noise program and it would look great.

By the way, very sweet boys there. very cute.

14. Thank you very much Melissa.

Greetings,
    Vince