Habituated GBH(sort of)

Real Name
Dan
Not the greatest bird images but interesting behavior so thought I'd share.

This GBH is not habituated to being fed but to something man made and to frequent human traffic. He/she(I can't tell them apart) hangs around this culvert to fish. The culvert connects a brackish water pond to a saltwater marsh. As the tide rises and falls the flow through the culvert reverses. The bird fishes whichever side is the outfall. It is almost always in this location either fishing or resting nearby. We pass by this spot multiple times each day either on bikes or in the car. The same day that I took the gator photos that I posted I shot these. I stopped just to take a shot of the bird standing in the culvert as a curiosity/documentary photo. My timing was just right as the bird caught a fish while I was shooting though I missed the actual grab.

D850, 500mm PF, handheld

1) Standing in his/her favorite spot.
p2150181059-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Caught a nice sized mullet for breakfast.
p2150181039-6.jpg

3) The bird decided to relocate to consume the fish. It didn't take it onto dry land but to a spot just a few yards away where the water was shallower and wasn't flowing.
p2150181063-6.jpg

4) As it walked back to its fishing spot it passed across this dark BG.
p2150181049-6.jpg

Real Name
Dan
Really interesting to see the resourcefulness of the GBH and you as well to capture it habits. I'm assuming thesis not in Alaska since you took photos of gators the same day. ( not a difficult conclusion to reach :))
You deduced correctly. We are in winter quarters on the coast of South Carolina. We do see a few GBH in coastal Alaska during the summer. All of them that I've run across are extremely cautious and won't let you get anywhere near them.

Smart bird and smart photographer!

Though I realize you're not inclined to make monochromes, at least think of what you could do with the first two images by going to black to the left of the culvert, showcasing the bird framed in the culvert's circle, probably by darkening though not going to black on the inside of the culvert. I think both photos could be magical very much the same way and for the same reasons Gary's monochromes of birds made in a similar style work so well.

Real Name
Dan
Really nice set Dan.
Well done Dan.
Thanks, Bob.
Quite interesting behavior and nicely documented.
Thanks for commenting, Karen. Always interesting to watch critters.
Smart heron!
Yes he/she's got it figured out.
Dan, good eye, catching this behavior, and nice job catching these shots. Smart bird!
Thanks, Glenn. They're certainly smart enough to figure out an easy meal.
Smart bird and smart photographer!

Though I realize you're not inclined to make monochromes, at least think of what you could do with the first two images by going to black to the left of the culvert, showcasing the bird framed in the culvert's circle, probably by darkening though not going to black on the inside of the culvert. I think both photos could be magical very much the same way and for the same reasons Gary's monochromes of birds made in a similar style work so well.
Thanks, Mike. You gave me something to think about. I may poke around with it a bit.
You caught some beauties Dan, #3 is a standout for me.
Thanks, Louie. No.3 is certainly the best from a standpoint of wildlife imagery.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom