Hacky Sack & the Street Preacher

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Removed User 1, Dec 25, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Dean,

Does the preacher lash out at folks as they walk by? Call them sinners etc? I've noticed some of your other shots people confronting him. Just curious how it gets started.

I really love this continuing series you have here.

Regards,

2. Patrick,
    They yell insults at those walking by to get things started. This women was holding hands with another and walking across the street so they got the 'LESBIAN ALERT!!'. She turned to scream. Notice the drink in hand which is common in Miami Beach. I thought it was against the law to leave a bar with a drink but not in Miami Beach. Many people are drunk that the preachers encounter.

This one got the comment of 'YOU NEED TO STOP DRESSING LIKE A WHORE' so instead of getting mad she posed for me.
    View attachment 21831

This girl was asked if she was still a virgin. She had trouble composing herself to answer.
    View attachment 21832

My favorite was this one where they preached at men walking out of the door of Club Madonna - a strip club. I would think that besides your wife or mother the last thing you want to encounter leaving a strip club would be some fundamentlists sticking a bible in your face.

View attachment 21833
    Dean

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Dean

That is really an awesome series you are putting together there. I dont think I would want to walk out on that strip to be confronted by such obviously aggressive proselytizing. Thanks for showing us this slice of life.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I would have thought that if the preachers were really wanting to get a message out there they would be more passive. I'm actually surprised by this Dean. I would have thought that the confrontation would be from the passers by. Thanks for shedding a little more light on this.

I'm all for freedom of speach etc but I also believe in being compassionate for all and not judging others. I wonder if the these street preachers have actually read the Bible.

Thanks again,

5. I am friends with a devote Christian who saw the images and said 'first, you have to love the sinner.' He does not care for what is happening.

This group follows a national leader and they visit colleges so you might see the same signs in use elsewhere. This leader teaches confrentational preaching. As for the group, they are quite nice when not on the podium. I have spent many hours hanging out with them as we walk the streets of Miami Beach.
    It is coming to an end. The police have had enough and are afraid of a fight or worse. They have video of one incident and are trying to put an end to this. The preachers do not care if they are arrested.

Dean

6. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Dean
    I agree with your friend. Jesus was considered to be a friend of sinners because of the love he showed them. He called a sin a sin but loved them anyway. So it doesn't appear that they are doing as Jesus would do.

7. There have been some Christians who encounter them and try and explain this to them. This lady was a methodist but you can see the person is not interested in listening.

8. The street preachers may want to take another look at this scripture:
    John 8:3 - And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
    John 8:4 - They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
    John 8:5 - Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
    John 8:6 - This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Yahushua stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
    John 8:7 - So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
    John 8:9 - And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Yahushua was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
    John 8:10 - When Yahushua had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
    John 8:11 - She said, No man, Sir. And Yahushua said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

9. Or this one as well perhaps:
    Matthew 7:3 - And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

10. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Unfortunately the story of the adultress is probably apocryphal - it is considered to be a later addition to John. The oldest texts do not include it. But it remains a story with a moral.