Had I been born less fortunate....

Discussion in 'People' started by Vernon t, Aug 3, 2005.

1. A walk downtown makes me think......
    ....had I been born under a tiny bit different circumstances....
    ....I might.......

2. saturnine

saturnine Guest

Very moving photo... it shows how many emotions and feelings just one picture can capture.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice capture, Vern. Often times, street photography can be a bit humbling. While looking at that gentleman, I'm thinking that he isn't worried about LLD, he is probably more concerned about where his next meal and nap might take place. I'd like to think that those of us in this community are appreciative of our blessings realizing that if some little aspect of the past might have been just a little different.....

4. Nothing to add ... just full agreement.

5. Very true just think back on our past and some key moments where we could have made the wrong decision and our lives could have turned out completely different

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Your shot reminds me of how much I have to be grateful for...thank you for that...and for the renewed inspiration to help others.

Kinda makes me wonder what we, as a "net community" could do to help out those that are less fortunate. I know it's not even really close to the holidays yet, but those times approach at warp speed. Anyone with ideas, please PM me directly. Lets see what we can do. It always saddens me year round to think of others w/o food, but particularly at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We on this forum may not be "upper crust", but we aren't living by thrown off crust either. Is there something we can do? Locally? Regionally? Nationally? Globablly? Again, ideas can be sent to me via PM.

7. Thanks for sharing this image.

8. Please understand that I'm not being a cynic and this doesn't apply all the time but I have to get this information out:

In the city here, we have a LOT of scams going on - people who appear like this, who are making a TON of money, tax free, from doing just this. I can't speak for the States, but in Canada we have a lot of government assistance programs, esp for the disable - enough for a small apartment and food, free medical and prescriptions. A few reporters decided to do a story on some of the 'beggars'. One woman took the subway home to her $250,000 condo with the Cadillac in the garage, registered in her name. Another girl in her early 20's went into a subway washroom at the end of her day, with her backpack, changed into her 'good clothes' and went home to nice home in the 'burbs. It has become common knowledge that you can make more just sitting on the pavement with a sign "feed me and my dog" than you can by working hard and paying taxes.
    A simply $5 donation to some guy can result in a $5,000 bill to the city services. He eventually gets enough for a bottle (NOT food as he says), gets blind-drunk, falls down, hits head, police and ambulance are called (tying up these services for other injured people), he's taken to the local hospital and because he's hit his head and is drunk, must be kept in overnight for observation, tying up a much needed hospital bed. Total cost of all services: $4-5,000. This goes on ALL the time.
    If you want to donate for any of the people who need it, PLEASE give to something like the United Way, or Salvation Army. Or buy them a sandwich or a cup of coffee, but do NOT give them cash. There are a lot of crack addicts who support their habits by begging and they say it's for food.

I post this not because I'm a miserable ol' b*tch but because some of you may not live in big cities, but might be vacationing in them, and think there are a lot of people who need help. You might not be aware of these scams, and there are a LOT of them. Give your money to the services who cater to these people - that way you know your money will be helping the needy.
    I tithe every year at Christmas time to my local services, ie Salvation Army, and I think this is a good habit to get into (tithing: giving % of income to charity).

9. saturnine

saturnine Guest

I know these scams have been going on for a LONG time, and what you're saying is true. I agree that giving financial donations to charitable foundations is better than giving actual cash to the homeless out on the street. Thanks for pointing this out, as many people aren't aware of exactly how big of a scam it has become.

10. Thanks all for the feedback.

The "scam" sub-thread is most though provoking.\

It's an unfortunate reality of life that the 2% scammers cast an ill shadow on the other 98%.

This is true throughout most of society, be they doctors, beggars, photo-retailers, girl scouts, religious preachers, butchers, attorneys or whatever they may be....well...OK 50% of attorneys.

Thanks for the invitation to think....I have not the answers.

11. Thankyou Vernon for not including real estate agents in your little list!!! LMAO

Seriously though, the ones I have the most difficult time with are the folks who are obviously suffering from mental disabilities. Terrible world to live in. They seem to struggle every day and it must be wearing on them. Let's all do something extra this week to make a life easier for another, above and beyond our normal modes of help.

BTW, is that YOU in your avatar?? Looks like a back injury just waiting to happen!