Had my first child session yesterday.

Well Yesterday, I had the privilege of having a photo session with Addisyn. She is two years old one of my friends daughters. I need someone to practice on and my friend is a single mother who could not afford to have easter pictures taken, so I saw this as an opportunity to help someone out and to learn a little.
Please critique these and let me know what I right or wrong. I shot in RAW on appiture priority, set it on 5.6, with my 55-200 and just started shooting. I edited these just a little with NX2.

DSC_1278.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_1319.jpg

DSC_1265.jpg

DSC_1495.jpg

DSC_1241.jpg

DSC_1285.jpg

Now I am upset with this picture, I used way too much flash and not matter what I do in NX2 I can't seem to make it right. I think her expression and pose is priceless. I am so sad this did not turn out.

DSC_1332.jpg

Very nice. I think you did a great job. She's a cutie with some great outfits.

I'll only talk about the second one from a critique point of view. The post on the left is distracting to me. Maybe crop it out? You have a lot of area top and bottom that could be removed to keep your aspect ratio.

I found the fill flash to be too hot as well on it. The flash shadow is a bit distracting to me. Not much you can do here, but keep it in mind to test some fill flash settings before the next time.

With results like this, you will have a next time.

Thanks Omar, I agree with everything you said, my main issue with flash is I currently only have the fixed flash located on the camera. I am already planning my next investment which will be the SB600 hotshoe. Tomorrow, I will crop out the post and see how it looks.

As far as there being a next time, I'm sure there will be. I had more fun yesterday, than i expected, it was also much harder than I expected, I missed so many great shots. Every time she did something cute, by the time I pulled the camera up, the moment was over.

Its a guarantee that comes with your camera, the the best expression of the whole shoot will be either over exposed, underexposed or completely out of focus. The rest may be spot on.

They are all super sweet. I like the first a lot, but I would crop closer so that the hand chops are less apparent. I like 2 and 3 also. She needs more light in her eyes in 5.

really like 1,3, and 4 the most.

im sure she will love these images and that was very nice of you to do this for her.

I keep going back to #3... beautiful!! #2 looks kind of flash-in-the-face, and #5 her eyes are too dark. Overall, I like them. :)

For the last one, I would convert it to b&w. I usually like my b&w photos a little brighter, so for me I think it would work. Might be something to play with.

Latest threads

Top Bottom