Had new shoot with Sandra Part 2

Discussion in 'People' started by vincebeus, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Hi,

I wanted to show some more photo's so that is why i made two parts of this photoshoot. Please let me know your comments, remarks, advice or critiques.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your time.

2. Paul maybe you have some advice or critiques on these photos?

3. My tips:

Background way too busy
    keep her at least 10 feet from the background.
    Use much less fill flash.
    There's no general idea/direction overall.
    Use a tripod and keep the frame constant, with only the model moving.

What generally lacks is your idea/direction. I see none and therefore it's only clicking away without telling a story or making a statement. You need a statement when shooting such. Start again with a theme. There must be a theme (a feeling, a mood, a subject...).

Regards

4. Vince...Wasn't Sandra cold on the first few shots or were they taken indoors using a backdrop?

5. It is outside and i could not move the model back 10 feet because then i would stand in big mudpool because it was on the beach where this is. And the beach was all rained wet.

It was 0 degrees outside.

6. Background is busy that is right
    Could not keep her 10 feet away else i would stand in a mudpool because of the wet sand. It was raining that day and 0 degrees. So i would next time use your advice.
    The fill flash was not on the right setting. I was also not totally happy with the outcome. But i used also a S-curve that maybe looks bit to harsh.

The tripod i could have used if i had taken it with me so that is my mistake. And direction or feel of the shoot is bit street urban feel to it.

At least thanks for your comments/advice and critiques. At is something i can work with. Thank you.

7. deapee

deapee Guest

So stand in the mudpool then -- if this was a pro photog on a shoot who needed good results, I guarantee he would have stood in the mud...just something to think about.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Vince,

I'm stuggling with some of the same things you are here. It's good for people to give you honest criticisms so you can learn. I am going to tell you something I really like. I love the bright colors. I think if you can follow the advice of some of the experienced photographers here and can use these bright colors you will have some really striking and unusual photos. I especially like the bright pink of her sweater and the bright blues and greens in the background.

Good luck--and like me, keep trying and learning.

9. Thank you Terri,

These photo's i made for testing and trying to achieve new looks to my shoots. These are made after i finished with the payed part of this photoshoot. Sometimes i try to make some extra photo's just for my self to look how far i can go with weather circumstances or with post processing. And then i love it to get here the advice or comments to look if it works or i could improve.

Atleast i learn every day something new and i am happy i will never stand still. There is room to improve allways. That is what i love here.

10. Ok Deapee,

What is a pro photog in your eyes?

Have you ever stood in a mudpool with 0 degree you know how slippery it is. And if you have allready done the paid part why should i take risks of getting dirty and let something happen to my camera. I am not going to risk my D2X because of some test shots.

But ok thanks for your first post and welcome to the Nikon Cafe. A pro would only stand in the mud pool if he gets paid for that part of the shoot. I didn't get paid for that part so i would not stand in the mud pool. Plus i had a photoshoot after that shoot in a dance hall for Tango photo's. So i wanted not to come in under the mud and have to take the time to clean all my gear because i had fun time in a mud pool. So i hope you understand why i didn't do it.

11. deapee

deapee Guest

To each his own...I guess I should have said that someone who wanted better results would not have been afraid to stand in the mud then...get a cynder block...from your response, previously, you knew that standing back there would have resulted in better composition, but yet you chose not to...and it shows...that's all.

I like the shots, no need to get defensive bro...I wouldn't have stood in the mud either.

12. Hi Vince,

The images are edgy (that's a compliment) and show off Sandra to good advantage. Not the usual portrait style but then that was not your intent I am sure. She is a cute model and your images are nice and colorful. Keep it up.

13. Haha don't worry i love critiques but i also love to explain myself sometimes to much. And i am happy you agree with me that you would not stand in the mud with me this time. And i bet many pro photog wouldn't do it eater they would wait for bit better weather or better location.

Thanks for your time of replying

14. Yes i tried something new. And i will defeaneatly try to improve myself. I also noticed that i had some camera shake because of the handhold shooting. And the 1/60th shutter speeds. So next time i will shoot maybe in FP mode so i can get higher shutterspeeds.

Is that better way to use a SB-800 outside or indoor. One thing i never did good was reading the manual of the SB-800 so now i am looking for some easy pdf or internet site with simple hints or tricks on the SB-800 else i have to read the manual.

Thanks for your reply, allways appreciate to hear you comment on my photos.

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hiya Vince!

Sorry I'm so late coming to this thread, but I can only attribute it to shear laziness! I think I'm going to address the poses in this thread primarily. Thos busy backgrounds really don't bother me, I actually think they add to the overall comp.
    Now, on the 1st pic, she's got this squinty, far away look with "pursed" lips that just doesn't work for me at all. She should also open the fingers of both hands. The 2nd shot has a better expression on her face, but the arm placement isn't working for me here, esp her right arm. The 3rd shot is pretty fun looking, but too much of her eyes are covered my her hair. The last 2 she's positioned too straight on towards the camera. I think with her face, in particular her nose, you could show her best side by always having her posed at a slight angle to the camera, like in shots 2&3. It makes her nose appear much slimmer. I think you both could benefit from a "cheat sheet" of poses, as I like to call it. I always try to work off a contact sheet of poses I think I might like to try. Every time I've "winged it" with Jessse, the results were disastrous, since neither of us are pros at poses. Hope this helps some!

16. Thanks Steve,

I love to find out this cheat sheet of poses. Because some woman have naturally the right poses. With her is bit harder to get it right. So i think i would really could benefit with her with some cheat sheet.

Thanks again for your time.

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    pm'd ya

check it

18. ajacobs2

ajacobs2

Nov 22, 2005
    Tampa, Florida, USA
    Alan Jacobson
    Ok enough with mudpools...

I'll say it, no one wants to mention the model. Well we aren't looking at a potato field or a tulip grove. We are supposed to be looking at Sandra. And yes the backgrounds are too busy, she's hugging the walls, staring to the camera, garish colors and poor posing -but we need to spend some time with her.

1) This model has a long face, everybodies face is different, how we work with it as photographers makes the differnce. Somehow the angles and the looks don't work well together. Much preparation is needed to carrry something off. Hair, make up and so forth.

Hair = Needs to be brought off the face and bulkier to the side to balance the long structure. (OK You had bad weather)

Eyes = With makeup she need eyes built top and bottom (makeup people know this) and also try some 3/4 angles. not face front with hair bulked on far side. (OK no makeup person to help)

Mouth = This girl has large dental features and a large jaw. Shoot her from a higher angle. ( OK you had no ladder) She need to till her head down to lessen the jawline.

Clothing = Colors are nice but shots look like a kalaidescope especailly against the walls and not feminine. And I guess that prompted the lack of a story line or emotion. ( OK thats all she brought)

Attitude = she appears very stiff and not relaxed at all. Usually results from a lack of direction. (You fill this one in)

At this point exposures F-stops, distance, are mote points. we need to make this model pretty and appealing and the tech stuff will fall into place.

She has strong features and structure, firts find the combination that brings that out then find another place to shoot with softer tones.

2) I agree with the others, the backgrounds are too busy. Your eyes go all over the place. Too may distractions.

3) Her body poses are "uncomfortable to the viewer"

Try some of these ideas, but don't stop trying.........

19. Hi thanks for your explaining.

Some of your comments i had figured out for myself about the higher angle and the make up i mentioned a few times to her i could bring in a make up person to do her. But she doesn't like it. The long face i figured out to and trying to find different angles to get the best out of her.

Sometimes i have the feeling she haves confidence issues about her looks. So that is something i must work on when i have shoot with her to relax her even more and get her less camera shy. But that takes time some have that come natural some are just camera shy or so tensed.

You mentioned alot of things i can work with and there are some of them that i am considering allready for some time. But this is really great to work with and to build from this again. Put the right pieces in the right direction to get the puzzle solved in how to get better everytime in my work.

And i will not give up and i will go on. I am not frustrated i still see all the improvement i can make and everytime it will get easier and more logical why it goes this or that way.

So thank you all so much for the directions i am getting. I love it!!!

20. Ahhh? I'm a complete duffer when it comes to portrait work and I have five grand daughters who are certainly going to want portraits as they grow. If it's not too much would you please send me that "cheat sheet?"

Thanks,

Rich:rolleyes: