Had to turn around and fire off some shots..

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Jul 13, 2005.

1. from my car with the D2H and 300 f2.8 with 1.4x on. Lots of Sandhills have been congregating by the highschool across the street from where I found these four adults. This is where the family with the chick hangs out, but they too moved over to the high school grounds. On the way home from best buy last night there must have been over a dozen in clusters in different retention ponds and fields.

Here were four feeding onthe side of the road, I did best I could from the car

unfortunately here the focus was on the "knee" and with the sun going in and out behind clouds, I shoulda left it at -.3, but went to 0 for this one:
    original.

this was one of the bigger adults, and when they crossed the road in front of me, he acted like a crossing guard, standing right in front of my car looking straight at me as the others passed. Her he was just preening and fluffing up:
    original.

just a portrait in early morning light:
    original.

wish I had better shots to show, but shooting sideways with this beast of a lens out of my small car's window is not so easy.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More excellent shots Harris. I actually like the fact that the legs are in sharp focus on the first one. Usually I go for the eyes, but in this case, I think you hit it just right.

You can see now why I love this combo so much. Paul does hit on one weakness though, and that is the lack of zoom for cases where you can't really move away from the subject. I guess that's why the 200-400VR is so attractive to many folks.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very crisp and sharp as are your other posts I've seen
    been thinking about this combo:

300F4 + TC17E

what do you think ? any experience with this?
    I would go with 300F2.8 but $$$ you know :)

5. the 300 2.8 is so sharp and fast, but the 200-400 is so versatile. Choices, choices, but none for me. I've switched brands to Rheem.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Another excellent series of images, Harris. You entertain/inspire/wow us with your wonderful bird shots...please keep them coming!!!

7. Your first image is going by the maxim, if you got a scratch itch it. Like your shots Harris.

8. Nice shots, Harris! It must be nice to see these around the neighborhood. :)