Hagerman badly flooded (4 pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Well, I guess I should have called before making the trip. When I got there this morning, I found the refuge so badly flooded that I couldn't go any further than the ranger station. Then the 2nd problem was the birds were so far out my 300mm and 1.4 TC just wasn't enough. I did practice with my jubo and for the first time using it, I think I did so-so. I learned later, that most of the swallows that had nested under a bridge were lost to the high water. Despite the flood, I was able to at least learn about dragon flies and damselflies at a free seminar. Dunno if I have anything worth posting, but just to show the flooding, I'm posting anyway. I know these are not technically great, but they do illustrate the problem. Oh the ranger said it would be at least 2-3 weeks before the roads could be opened providing rain doesn't come to the area again soon.

This is where the road should be!
    537644326_ae16777c32_o.

Swallows that built their nest under the eaves of the ranger station. Same kind of swallows that were lost to the flooding.
    View attachment 99779

My first attempt at BIF with my jubo
    View attachment 99780

Just another view of the flooded roads (seminar group)The man on the far left is a professor at a University and specializes in dragonflies and damselflies - oh just to clarify, there ARE birdies in the background!
    View attachment 99781

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Interesting post. I do see the bird in the last one:)

3. The BIF is well done and shows that the Gimbal will help you on this type of work. Sorry you got flooded out.

4. Wow...I know you said it had been raining, but those photos are something. You are going to love the gimbal, and I am looking forward to seeing how it helps.

5. LOL, I was just plain lucky to get it! I'll definitely be practicing as often as I can! This jubo gadget is fun! Thanks for stopping in!

Thanks Dave! Just wish I had been closer to the birdie! I'm gonna enjoy my jubo for sure! Now just gotta dream of a longer lens someday - long dream!

I could post more - one is actually kinda funny but technically, my photos are just junk today. As for the jubo, I love it! I found it so easy to control my motion and at the same time have a freedom too! Thanks for stopping in!

6. Nice Set Dianne

7. Thanks Gary! I hope to go back when the roads are clear.

8. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Send us some of that wet stuff!!!!! I am having to wet the road down on my farm each morning to hold down the dust! Dianne there are two very best times to visit a swamp or wetland area, during a flood or during a super dry spell. While flooded all the dry type critters are in a very small area, deer, hogs, bear, buzz worms (rattle snakes). In the dry year all the wet loving critters are in the remaing water holes, gators, turtles, cotton mouth, fish and water birds. Both offer some odd shots that you would never think about before hand.

9. Wish I could! Because the refuge is so big, I just didn't see anything "close" that I could get some good shots of. I tried a few dragon flies, but don't think I have the hang of that yet - so I ain't postin them! We're hoping to go back up there in 2-3 weeks depending on the rain. Hopefully then, I'll be able to get some nicer shots - if you haven't seen it already, check out "Herman, the map says....." Thanks for stopping by!

10. Hi Dianne,
    Nature can be wild down there in Texas. I remember it well from many years ago. Thanks for sharing.:smile:

11. Thanks Ed! Just wish my 300mm had been a 600mm or bigger? The birdies were so far away, I didn't want to crop too much, but man, shooting wasn't the greatest yesterday! I'm glad for the rain. We've really needed it and still have 4 lakes that are 3+feet below level.

12. Hey Dianne thats why they put those roof racks on all the new cars and SUVs just so you can put the canoe up there just for days like this but always take your oldest insured camera and lens.:biggrin:Seriously have you ever tried from a kayak or canoe? Boy you can really find interesting stuff. I did a trip awhile ago down the Delaware River and saw all kinds of stuff but I was a bit leary about taking 10 grand of stuff on a boat only about 40 inches wide even with insurance.:biggrin:
    Lou

13. Lou, you must be joking! :131: Me in a kayak? A canoe? I don't have the foggiest notion how to use one! I've thought about a boat tour, but when I found out the price (eagles!) I couldn't afford it! I won't put my gear in a boat either! Mine may not amount to as much as yours, but hey, my hubby worked hard for me to have it! Seriously, when the roads are clear, I have plenty to shoot at and at good ranges too! I'm too afraid of snakes to do alot of walking at Hagerman too! It will be about 3 weeks when the roads should be drivable. Hopefully by then we'll be able to go up and have a good day of shooting. OH, thanks for the chuckle and for stopping in! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.