Haines AK Bald Eagle Festival

Has anyone ever been to the bald eagle festival in Haines in Nov? I'm thinking of going up there this November and wondering if anybody has any tips or good info. Thanks

Matt

Matt, November can be very snowy in Haines, but not always. Days are short. I've been there for a few weeks when it was mostly cloudy all the time, and also when the snow was 6 feet deep, and there were no plowed places to pull off the road to watch/photograph the eagles. Yes, there will be lots of eagles (one year I was there, a reasearcher counted over 7,000), but don't expect it to be easy. The best shots I've seen from Haines were on a mostly clear day, with eagles soaring in front of the mountains.

Good luck on the trip and get back with me on your adventure. I want to plan to travel there maybe next year or so.

Michael

I'm thinking that Sigma of yours is going to get a workout!

If I get the chance to be reincarnated, I'm coming back as a bald eagle.
Soar the skies protected from hunters!

Steve

I'm thinking that Sigma of yours is going to get a workout!

If I get the chance to be reincarnated, I'm coming back as a bald eagle.
Soar the skies protected from hunters!

Steve

Steve, they weren't always protected from hunters. From 1917 until 1953 there was a bounty on bald eagles in Alaska, as people thought they killed too many fish. During that time, 128,000 eagles were killed for a $.50 to $2.00 bounty/eagle.

Remember Alaska became as state in1959.. not that long ago.
They also almost destroyed the salmon runs due to lack of regulations prior to statehood.

Remember Alaska became as state in1959.. not that long ago.
They also almost destroyed the salmon runs due to lack of regulations prior to statehood.

Yep, I remember getting the new flag as a kid. Almost as memorable as seeing Sputnik in 1957......

Latest threads

Top Bottom