Hairy-necked tiger beetle

I'm involved in writing a paper on the tiger beetles of Manitoba and I'm providing pictures. I was missing a few species including this one (Cicindela hirticollis) which can't be found in many localities. I got a location from a friend and headed out there yesterday morning. Fortunately, I was successful in shooting these little guys (12-17mm) in spite of their habit of usually flying off when approached. The 1200 pixel picture looks blurry to me here in the cafe due to resizing but the original is nice and sharp.

Larry

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Quite an unuusal beetle....at least to me. Very well captured. The low prespective is excellent! Did it take a long time to approach it without scaring it off? If needed, Topaz AI Sharpen can probably restore sharpness to the cropped image.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quite an unuusal beetle....at least to me. Very well captured. The low perspective is excellent! Did it take a long time to approach it without scaring it off? If needed, Topaz AI Sharpen can probably restore sharpness to the cropped image.
Thanks Karen I spent over an hour stalking them - there were about 10 altogether. One gets used to getting all set up and having it run or fly off just before you press the shutter. Of course only about 1 in 20 approaches gets you close enough.

It's the cafe that's presenting the image bigger than it should. I see other people's shots at what looks like the correct size but I haven' figured out how to get that to happen. I must be missing a setting.

Larry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks as if the cafe software "reads" the ppi setting of the image. This is the same picture at 72ppi rather than 300.

_DSC3960_DxO-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom