Haleakala sunrise

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Philippe Roger, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Sunrise on Maui's Haleakala, at over 10,000'.

367292749_wPFaz-O.jpg

367298085_sjDBa-O.jpg

Detail of a cinder cone, taken from the viewpoint below the top:
    367293528_C4cnN-O.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  2. #3 is gorgeous! Very nicely done!

3. How nice is that! Gorgeous surroundings Philippe.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi philippe-

i love the first shot, the stars contrast nicely with the lit road. i've been up the volcano, but not at sunrise (too early for me!). thanks for sharing the photos.

ricky

5. Philippe, fantastic shots, particularly #1 and 2. Thanks for showing these.

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Excellent Work!!

7. Phillipe -

beautiful, just beautiful.

Eric

8. Great set Philippe. Beautiful images.

9. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    thanks for sharing and bringing back the memories. I was there on my honeymoon.

10. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    WOW!!! great captures... 1 and 2 are just amazing, thanks for sharing!

11. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Awesome series...........I vote for #1 (I'm just star struck).

12. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    You have a lot of dead pixels as shown on picture #1 :p

13. Thanks. It's my favorite too.

Yes, it's a wonderful place and seeing the sun rise before 6am from that vantage point gives great serenity for the rest of the day!

Ricky, I am with you most of the time, but it was our second time on this island and we had already missed it once, and Mauna Kea on the Big Island. So, we got up at 2:30am, drove the 40 miles or so in just under 2 hours and I was able to get some long exposures about 1 hour before the actual sunrise. Perfect! My wife didn't like the getting up, the long drive and being in the cold so much... But she does like the pictures! ;):biggrin:

Thanks guys!

You're welcome. Great spot for a honeymoon.

Thanks very much!

Yes, but you should have seen the dust bunnies I had on #2, shot at f/22! :eek::tongue:

14. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    wait a minute, those arent actually dead pixels at ISO1250 are they?
    i thought they were stars and just playing a dead pixel/star silly joke on you :)

15. I know... I and played one on you too! :tongue: (but I was serious about the dust bunnies on shot #2!) :biggrin:

16. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    :( got me... *sigh* nice gallery btw, bookmarked! :)

17. absolutely gorgeous! I have seen a number of photos of this area and these are the best.

18. Gorgeous shots Philippe. They are all wonderful. The 1st and 3rd ones stick out for me. Wy wife lived in Hawaii for a few years and visited this spot. She wants to take me there and I want to go as well. Thank you for sharing.

God Bless,
    David

19. Thanks for the compliment! Sunrise there is really an awesome sight, and that of course, has something to do with it. :wink:

David, Thank you. You've got to make her wish come true. You (both) won't regret it. Take care,