Halifax, Nova Scotia -- A Dozen

The first photography stop during my long road trip from Chicago to Newfoundland and back was the capital city of Nova Scotia--Halifax. I spent one afternoon and then most of the next morning there before moving to Peggy's Cove.

I very much enjoyed Halifax. Although one usually travels to places like Nova Scotia and Newfoundland for the landscapes, I found myself gravitating towards architecture.

Here are a dozen of my favorites from that city:

1- I experienced challenging conditions during most of my trip. I was 0 for the trip on sunrises...it was consistently overcast or cloudy. There wasn't a single morning when the sun was visible at dawn. Sunsets weren't much better. So, I tried to come up with more creative ways to make some of these pictures more interesting. Long exposure was one approach. This is a five minute exposure of downtown Halifax:
p3019507680-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- Halifax features a diversified mix of architecture...old and new, traditional and contemporary...all together. I captured this image from a distance to compress the scene. In reality, the buildings in the back are a block or two behind the one in the front of the frame:
p3019507634-5.jpg

3- This was a fun photograph to capture. The guard at the entrance to the Citadel is not permitted to talk or to even change expression. I didn't know this, so I asked him if it would be OK to take some photographs. He just kept standing exactly as pictured while I reeled off about 40 exposures:
p3019507567-5.jpg

4- I have visited all 50 state capitols and photographed 49 of them, but this was the first provincial capitol that I photographed in Canada. The following image is of the Legislative Chamber and the next pictures is of the Legislative Library of the Province House in Nova Scotia:
p3019507807-5.jpg

p3019507683-5.jpg

6- The churches of Halifax were a joy to visit. Most were open for visitors and all complied with my request to illuminate the interior. This church was the most fascinating to me. It's an old, all wooden, round church that opened its doors in 1812. It's called St. George's Round Church. The individual who opened the church and walked me around is studying to become a minister. We went up to the balcony (pictured), then up into the clock tower and eventually down to the crypt in the basement.
p3019507839-5.jpg

7- The Halifax Central Library is bright and contemporary:
p3019507315-5.jpg

8- The Halifax Town Clock towers over the city. This is the most famous landmark in the capital city:
p3019507317-5.jpg

9- Did I mention that I enjoy architectural abstracts?
p3019507313-5.jpg

10- St. Mary's Basilica opened in 1899:
p3019507312-5.jpg

11- Two women in period attire at the historic Citadel:
p3019507595-5.jpg

12- City Hall
p3019507333-5.jpg

Next up, Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia...

Thanks for looking!
Glenn

Real Name
Ken St John
These are really terrific. Every one. And I love your stories. I have not been to the east coast of Canada so they are a particular treat.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

I loved seeing these Glenn!! Your work is always so wonderful.
Thank you, Terri
These are really terrific. Every one. And I love your stories. I have not been to the east coast of Canada so they are a particular treat.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Thanks Ken...I highly recommend Nova Scotia as a travel destination.
My favorite is 5. I like the details of the books. That is the only one without a caption. :(
Thanks Allan...the caption for 5 was included with 4 since both were captured at the same location.
Wow, Halifax as I've never seen it!! Stunning as always.
Thank you, Nick
An inspiring series on several levels. I'm surprised you were able to visit so many places and find such appealing vantage points in such a short period of time.
Thanks Mike...visiting so many places in so many cities day after day is why I need a vacation when I return from one of these long road trips. This one covered 6,500 miles by car, 460 miles by ferry and 225 miles by foot!

Glenn

Terrific set Glenn. I always enjoy seeing images from your road trips.
Thank you, James
Lovely set. I enjoyed all of these.
Thanks Mitch
Very nice Glen these are wonderful especially the interior shots like #4 and #6
Thank you, Tony...I tend to create a lot of interior photographs!
Haven't been there in decades. Thanks for some great shots.
Thank you...this was my first trip to Nova Scotia.

Glenn

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom