1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Halloween Candy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbird, Oct 25, 2018.

1. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ok, I admit this is not related to photography at all. I have two questions:
    1. Do you buy more candy than what you think you will have to distribute to the kiddies?
    2. What is your favorite that you hold back for yourself?

Answer:
    1. Of course.
    2. Hershey's miniatures, miniature Milky Ways. Both are great frozen

2. I don't eat candy at all, and here in the boondocks we get zero trick-or-treaters. Nevertheless, my wife stocks up "just in case".

For some strange reason it always disappears before the next year rolls around.

3. 1) wife always purchases a little more than needed.
    2) flavored tootsie rolls, seems we can only find them at Halloween. Orange, Lime and Lemon always get stashed away.

4. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    1. Yup

2. Tootsie Pops

I'm in Jim's boat out here in the boondocks of New Hampshire. I have never had a single trick-or-treater in the 32 years I've lived here. But I buy a big bag of Tootsie Pops just in case :) 

5. No Trick or treaters here

6. I'm in a condominium community of mostly working adults, with some of us old retired folks sprinkled in here-and-there. While from time to time there are a few young couples with babies (who are usually already looking at houses) this isn't a community geared towards raising children and we don't have treat-or-treaters coming to our doors. Quite some years ago now, we did have a couple of grandchildren of one of the neighbors come around, as they lived not far from here, and we all knew them and they knew us, but that was about it.

In answer to the questions, then, I don't buy candy for Hallowe'en and for that matter, rarely for myself, although if I were to do so I'm partial to Reeses Peanut Butter Cups or Yorktown Mints.... :) 

7. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ooooh! Connie, shoot me a PM with your address. I do some of my Christmas shopping on Church street in Burlington, Vermont. A few years back on my way up i got off the exit before Burlington, (Williston) and found a mom & pop chocolatier. https://www.amarahschocolatecompany.com When I opened the door I was blown away by the smell of something crazy good. I asked what was Cooking, and he said "Peanut butter cups, they just came out. Want to try one?" Hell yeah!. He said he makes his own peanut butter by hand too They are AMAZING! and they're huge. Probably 5 times the size of a Reece's. Ever since, I always stop on my way up, or back from Burlington for a couple of those PB cups. So, shoot me your addy, and when I do my shopping this year I'll grab an extra for you and send it your way. :) 

8. Oh, wow!!!! Shoot, I wish I had known about that place when I was visiting a friend in Burlington a few years ago!

9. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Better yet. Have your friend grab some for you. It's in Williston. 10 minutes from Burlington in the plaza with Ramunto's brick oven pizza, and Plato's closet. Exit 11 I believe.

10. Thank you! I'm sure she probably knows about the place but in case she doesn't I'll give her the info! She has lived in Burlington for quite a while now and seems to know the area pretty well.....

11. 1. :ROFLMAO: 

2. Kit Kats for the kids. Airplane wine bottles for the parents

12. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

1. No trick or treaters where I live.

2. Candy Corn. I've gotta have 'em. Bought two bags the other day. I'm trying to ration them out, but...

Sigh...it ain't workin'... :rolleyes: 

13. Çandy Corn? Nahhhh.....for me it's gotta be chocolate or at least have some element of chocolate in it somewhere!!! Chocolate-covered pretzels, the already-mentioned Peanut butter cups, peppermint surround by luscious dark chocolate, or full-out to-die-for Truffles, whatever..... Just gotta have chocolate!! :D  (Once in a while, not as a regular daily dose!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. We haven't had one single "treater" since we moved to our neighborhood 10 years ago. It's not conducive to the activity, and I think or neighborhood is rather devoid of children (our 5 being the exception). That said, my wife waits until AFTER the event to buy candy at crazy discounts, and we use it for treats, etc. for the next few months at least. I don't eat much candy, but I do have a particular weakness for chocolate. Any chocolate. In particular, Sixlets. :) :) :) 

15. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

They still sell those??? :eek: 

I remember eating them when I was a kid, but I haven't seen them in decades!

16. Never heard of those.....looked them up on Google and they look unfamiliar to me, don't even recognize the packaging, so it must be that they are not sold around here, nor were they where I grew up, either. Interesting.....if I ever spot a package I'll buy them to try!

17. Lots of trick-or-treaters where I live. To avoid them, my wife and I always go to supper in a restaurant and then to a movie.

• Like Like x 1
  18. They do! I love them! I'm not sure where my wife finds them, probably Target, Walmart, etc....

• Like Like x 1
  19. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    That place looks seriously good. Reason enough to go to Vermont. Our favorite chocolatier is in London, Charbonnel Et Walker. They are located in the Royal Arcade on Old Bond street.

20. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    We don't get trick or treaters any more but we do buy a bag of candy. We turn off the lights, head to the back of the house, put on a good movie and open a bottle of wine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.