Halloween NYC

I met two old friends in the city for dinner. They are not into photography, although they will humor me up to a point. So these are snapshots that I took while walking around after dinner, and will hopefully give you an idea of the scene. Wall to wall people, squeezing through the crowd, no flash (ISO 6400), wrong lens (50mm - I should have brought something wider). Everybody seemed pretty happy. I suspect that any locals who weren't into the crowd ordered takeout and stayed home.

Gekko-5079.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gekko-5075.jpg

Gekko-5073.jpg

Gekko-5034.jpg

Gekko-5029.jpg

Gekko-5000.jpg

Gekko-4988.jpg

Gekko-4986.jpg

Gekko-4963.jpg

Gekko-4949.jpg

Gekko-4924.jpg

Gekko-4913.jpg

If I was to do this again, next time as a photographer, I would do things differently. If you do ever go, and want to come away with decent shots, I have two suggestions.

The best would be to get on to the parade route and have a portable soft-box of some type. Find a spot on the route where the street widens so that you're not crowded in. The parade route is ringed by fences and guarded by police, so when the street narrows it gets very crowded.

Otherwise, pick a street a couple of blocks away from the parade route where there is not wall-to-wall people, but still loads of Halloween revelers. Stand with your back to a well-lighted storefront which will act as your lighting, and just hang out to catch passersby.

Latest threads

Top Bottom