Halloween Pennant (Corrected to Eastern Amberwing - L.d.M.)

HalloweenPennant6220-18-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice! An Eastern amberwing., Perithemis tenera
Thanks as always, Larry! Now I see the difference. In fact, the pennants hang around the canal, and this was actually in our yard. The colors are similar. This one is slightly smaller, and I do see a big difference now in the face. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks as always, Larry! Now I see the difference. In fact, the pennants hang around the canal, and this was actually in our yard. The colors are similar. This one is slightly smaller, and I do see a big difference now in the face. Thanks again!
I guess if you call half the size slightly smaller, then it's slightly smaller.:). Look at the structure, too the shape and proportions are not at all like the pennant. I envy you having these. We don't and I've only ever seen one, in Ottawa, ON.

Larry

Dossy, a book made just for you :D

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Mike
Nice profile! ID's are tough for me. I'm just learning. If I can't get a good shot and ID after enlarging, I'll send it to my "bug guy." He knows all.

Nice profile! ID's are tough for me. I'm just learning. If I can't get a good shot and ID after enlarging, I'll send it to my "bug guy." He knows all.
A good field guide if you are interested in learning is Dennis Paulson's Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East (or West if you live W of the Mississippi.)

There's an app called Dragonfly ID for both IOS and Android which is somewhat useful once you can identify what family of dragonflies the one you are looking at is in.

For Ohio there's a photo guide at the Ohio Dragonfly Survey site: https://u.osu.edu/ohioodonatasurvey/identification-resources/photo-id-guide-by-dave-mcshaffrey/

A physical field guide is much more useful in my opinion.

Larry

Real Name
Mike
A good field guide if you are interested in learning is Dennis Paulson's Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East (or West if you live W of the Mississippi.)

There's an app called Dragonfly ID for both IOS and Android which is somewhat useful once you can identify what family of dragonflies the one you are looking at is in.

For Ohio there's a photo guide at the Ohio Dragonfly Survey site: https://u.osu.edu/ohioodonatasurvey/identification-resources/photo-id-guide-by-dave-mcshaffrey/

A physical field guide is much more useful in my opinion.

Larry
Thanks! I have the Paulson guide and am familiar with the Ohio Dragonfly Survey. I submit to it. My "Bug Guy" compiles data for the survey through iNaturalist. I learn best by repeated sightings and being out with someone who knows, like my "Bug Guy." I'll look into the app. Always good to have a dozen field guides right in your pocket.

Thanks! I have the Paulson guide and am familiar with the Ohio Dragonfly Survey. I submit to it. My "Bug Guy" compiles data for the survey through iNaturalist. I learn best by repeated sightings and being out with someone who knows, like my "Bug Guy." I'll look into the app. Always good to have a dozen field guides right in your pocket.
Are you aware of odonatacentral.org? It's much better organized than iNaturalist and submissions are vetted by people who actually know their dragonflies so you don't get the specious identifications that iNaturalist is often prone to. iNaturalist sightings can be imported into OC.

Larry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Mike! There's also Bugguide.net. If you upload a pic you're not sure of, you get an answer pretty quickly. I missed it completely on this one!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom