Halo with long lens HELP! (Large images for analysis)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Gary7770, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Any one have any idea why there would be a halo around an object in an image when using a long lens (600mm)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Gary

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Hey Gary, take off the rain forest between you and your subject:confused: .
    Is this taken with a Prime 600 F4/5.6 or a 400 2.8 and a 1.4?. Me thinks if there is converter in the mix than that may be the "source" of the problem. Very strange. What f/stop where you at? And what was the humidity:biggrin:.

Gregory

3. Hey Gregory,

Nikon 600mm F4 no converter
    @F4
    D300
    1/2000

7:00am, no sure how humid it was.

Thanks,
    Gary

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Somthing is not right there. Is this occuring in all of your capture's, or just those. Perhaps the plants are radiating some type of weird energy making Super Nikkor banished to the land of Diffusion:confused: . I have no idea? So Im going with rain forest removal between you and your lens..

gregory

5. If the lens came out of A/C storage in the house into a humid environment, there will be condensation form on the objective and real lenses, maybe some internals as well depending on how much air can get inside the lens barrel.

Allow 20-30 minutes for the lens to acclimate before going from cold to warm environments....

6. I haven't had the lens long and just noticed this. I'll try another shot over the weekend to see if I can replicate this problem.

Definitely didn't go from AC to outside for this shot.

Thanks for the ideas.

Gary

7. Hi Garry,

What focusing mode did you use?
    In my experience in 3D Auto especially with low contrast subjects D300 is hopeless, after quite a few flops it is now permanently off.

Hope this helps,

Mladen

Digital bodies D300 & D200, Film bodies F80 & F4S
    Primes 16f2.8AFD, 50f1.4AFD, 85f1.4AFD, Zooms 18-35 AFD, 70-200f2.8 AFS VR, 18-200 AFS VR DX
    Other SB-800 & Canon 500D
    Legacy Pentax LX & K1000 with 17-28 Fisheye Zoom, 24f2.8, 35f2.8, 50f1.4, 85f2, 135f3.5 & 200f4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17002757@N08/

8. You weren't using a filter on the lens by any chance?
    I had similar results with a CPL filter that must have started to de-laminate. Filter looked fine and clear but layers separated a very small amount that gave similar look at center of image.
    Probably not the problem, but thought I would mention it.

9. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    The halos don't go all the way around the peppers, they're only on the sides and there's even a double halo on some of the brighter parts. I think that rules out condensation. It looks like you were shooting at an angle through a window.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.