Ham Radio?

PGB

Well what do you know. Thats pretty cool Gale. We'll have to get on 17meters some day and chat!

Not a ham, but do listen to some bands. Interestng stuff. Past weekend had a special event from lighthouse in Germany.

73's

Alan

I was KB8CIK but let it expire a long time ago. Both parents are licensed, or were. My dads is KI8F.

I was never a ham radio operator but was at a friends house when the FCC should up to arrest his dad for transmitting music.......now this guy could not carry a tune if it were nailed in the bottom of a steel bucket wit the lid welded on.....nope that tune would escape......
So when he went in front of the Judge,.............. the judge asked him exactly what he did and he recited the Star Spangled Banner and American the Beautiful just as he did for a guy in Germany the weekend i was there.....GAWD it was awful.....nope he did not try to sing it......the Judge tossed the case and told the agents they needed to take some music courses so that they would know what is and is not music............

Former novice, never got my full license. My friend who started me on that has been one for over 50 years, has well over 300 countries on DX (not OUR DX!).

Thorsten

Art, what a hilarious story! Thanks for sharing it. Serves those FCC agents right. Yes you're not supposed to transmit music, but that is supposed to apply to copyrighted recordings, not some guy reciting the Star Spangled Banner.

AF6AM

Wow major thread bumpage. :smile:

N3UCN here and have kept it current, but have never really been active. Back in the day I wanted to get on HF and had theory passed to Extra but botched my 5 WPM code exam and then let the CSCE expire. Now that the code requirements are gone I really should get my Extra class ticket and get on, except I have no time to operate anyways! In a year or so things will be better, just in time for the sunspot cycle to pick up. :smile:

there was another thread on this: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=211352

Last edited by a moderator:
VE3LLL here. Nice to see so many responses, not nice to see so many with the word "inactive". Hope that's a solar cycle thing.

Art Scott, if you can get contact information for those over-zealous FCC agents, probably many of us can provide call signs for people who SHOULD be arrested. Enforcement seems to be fading towards 0db these days.

Wow major thread bumpage

I was thinking the same thing. From 2005 to now - WHOMP!

N4GVA here - licensed with the same call for 28 (yikes) years, Extra class, periodically active on HF, CW/RTTY/PSK - very active on APRS with an APRS station constantly on in the airplane. Ran HF mobile (SSB/CW/10-FM) 20 years ago for quite awhile. Ran HF aeronautical mobile on 20m/15/10 on PSK/RTTY/CW/SSTV quite a lot for several years until recently.

Not me but hung around my dad who was a serious "ham".
He was on his ham set about as often as I'm on my computer which is way to much!
He had a wall filled with post cards from operators all over the world. They had some really cool themes on their cards.
He kept up with his hobby right until he passed around ten years ago.
They say that you can tell how long a person has been involved based on the call number. His was WA6JOL.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom