Hampton Beach, NH -- Sand carving competition (13 shots)

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by BostonRott, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Emilie and I travelled up to Hampton Beach, NH this morning to see the sand carving competition. This was the 7th annual competition, and the winner gets $15,000! :eek: All of these people are Masters, and this event is invitation only.

Conditions were a bit tough, as the sun was behind the sculptors, and climbing. Would love to hear thoughts on composition, overall exposure (should I have adjusted more?). I shot most of these with the 80-200 (handheld while chasing Emilie), aperature priority, ISO200, f/4 and +1.0EV.

Demo sculpture

Hampton Beach beauties
    View attachment 102118

Carl Jarra
    View attachment 102119

View attachment 102120

Sgt Art Knapp, who hasn't been called "Sarge" since he left Vietnam, but now ever year, the spectators cheer him on with calls of "Hey Sarge!"
    View attachment 102121

200 tons of special sand from Hudson, NH was trucked in. The sand has silt in it, to help with packing.

Tools of the trade
    View attachment 102122

View attachment 102123

A few sand portraits. The models were very easy to work with, only the light was a challenge. :wink: :biggrin:
    View attachment 102124

View attachment 102125

A little people-watching
    View attachment 102126

And a few people watching
    View attachment 102127

Does anyone else have a child who is a people-magnet?? Emilie can befriend anyone, anywhere. We'd talked to this lady for less than 30 seconds, and the next thing I know, Em has a new best friend and is wearing her sun glasses! :eek: :biggrin:
    View attachment 102128

2. Eeek! Looks like I need to do some horizon straightening in many of these. :redface: Just noticed that. Sigh....will have to fix later, no time now.

3. wow, those statues are phenomenal! I'm always in awe of these talented folks.

Dunno, would fill flash had worked? How close were you allowed to the sculptures?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic sand sculptures.
    Nice pics.

5. Chris,

I too was in awe, their talent is just amazing!!!

Fill flash may well have helped, and I thought of that over an hour into our drive (sigh). I only had the on-camera flash and was probably 15-20ft from most of these.

Gale,
    Thanks for checking it out! :smile:

6. hey, JFYI, boston.com has a gallery on this as well....can't believe they didn't include the first one of your series...

7. Interesting to see how the finished sculptures came out. :smile:

8. Neat series. I love to see talented, creative people a work.

9. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

Wow! Those are totally amazing! Great captures!

10. Nice shots! Almost felt like I was there thanks to the story your pictures tell.

Interesting that you have different types of shots tied together by the one event. I specifically liked the "models" themselves and the capture of the artists concentration. Didn't even mind the wrap up you did showing the audience as it really explained the whole event.

Might have chosen a different angle / crop on the opening shot (shown more on the left side and less on the right) and may have even tried to clone out the pole on the lefts side and the fence in the background. That would make it less true to life though.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shots Gretchen, people with artistic talent really amaze me. All from a hunk of wet sand. WOW!

12. Me too Dave!!! :biggrin:

Thank you! I was soooo impressed by the talent of the people there, truly amazing. :smile:

Thank you Dan!
    I tried to take a different approach. I have learned here on the Cafe that most of my previous pictures were "I was here" type stuff. It would have been easy to just photograph the sculptures in their entirety (though they weren't finished when I was up there), and in fact, I did get shots of each using the 28-70/2.8 which show the whole sculpture.

But in thinking about it, I decided that I also was very interested in the artists themselves, and wanted to try to pass some of that along. Looking at all of their various tools, the methods they used (the various ways to apply water!), etc, it really was a neat experience! :smile: