Hand Held Moon

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by greyflash, Aug 25, 2005.

1. I am not touting this image as a great moon shot, especially with all the fine ones that have been posted here. The thing that is interesting is that I shot it hand held with my 300mm f2.8 lens and then had to crop it severly to make it big enough to view on this forum.

100% crop of moon, ISO 200, f2.8.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I like it.

show off :biggrin:

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, that is great Gordon. I really like the contrast with the perfectly black sky. :smile:

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's wild for hh! I mean, wow. You don't need no stinkin' tripod Gordon!

5. Thanks Patrick, Dave and Chris. I didn't even know that hand holding a shot of the moon was possible but thought I would give it a try just for kicks. It was shot at ISO 200, f2.8, at 1600/sec. on a very clear night. Dave, there was no manipulation of the background in PS so what you see is what you get.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  6. Brew

Brew Guest

show off!!!!!! :biggrin:

7. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Gordon:

That is incredible for a handheld shot! I am really impressed :cool: :biggrin:

8. There is nothing wrong with your image. I like it.

9. Great job, Gordon. Especially for a HH shot. Very nicely done.

10. Bruce, Lisa, Ray and Nick,

Thank you for the nice comments. Now I will have to put on the TC 1.4 and see if I can keep from cropping it so much.

11. Gordon,

I'm going to have to join the bandwagon of very impressed people here. I've attempted shooting at the moon several times with a 300 f/4 with and without TC's, but always with a tripod. Never have gotten anything like that, regardless of crop! You're making me want to try again...

Great shot!

12. This is so clear. A perfect exposure, and... hand held ! I'm impressed too by the clear sky you had. These are not the conditions we city folks can even dream of.

13. Christian, the clear sky comes from a lack of light pollution and the dry air in the desert where I live. Thanks for your comments.

14. Yes, give it another try David. It was a nice clear night here in St. George but I really didn't take any particular pains in doing this shot. I just walked outside with my dog so that he could pee and pointed up at the sky and made the shot. I did have to adjust my shooting speed twice because of overexposure. I ended up at 1/1600 of a sec. at f2.8. It was all over in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for looking and for your comments.

15. Wow. Human Tripod. I will look for clone's of you on sale at B&H!

That is pretty good HH. I just took some of the moon a couple nights ago with my 70-300 I do not think they came out as sharp as yours. I post it here just for comparison. Also, severly cropped and no where near as sharp as yours. Darn-it and I used a tripod.'

So I guess a 300 2.8 is much sharper than my 70-300? Or maybe I just suck at moon shots? Hopefully, the difference in quality of the lenses shows. OK-I want a 300 2.8 too. The list of lenses grows even more. It would be interesting to see a full moon shot with a 70-200 VR and perhaps a 200-400 VR and one more the 80-400 VR. I am hoping to get the 80-400 VR as my next lens purchase.

37269388_c98472d29e_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  16. Great image!

100% better than my last moon-shooting.

Are you for rent? (a self-walking tripod would be great for hikes :wink:)

17. Great shot, Gordon. And you did it so casually.

Makes me want to try it. And if I'm not successful, can I borrow your tripod?

18. Hi Mark, Michael and Phil. Thanks for commenting on my moon shot. I would make a pretty antiquated tripod so I suspect you better look to Gitzo or some other brand. :wink: :wink:

19. Just....wow! What an amazing shot. And handheld, too?!?!?! I'll say it again...wow!

20. Gordon,

This is excellent especially since it was handheld. I'm impressed !!!

Here is mine taken in June05. This one was taken on the tripod with 1/160 f/8 at 200mm

moon.