1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hand holding and megapixels

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Beezle, Sep 30, 2005.

1. I have been using a certain other 12 MP camera long with my D2X this week, and an interesting revelation came out of it. At least for me.

How well one can hand hold a particular field of view (a scene) is not about photosite size. It is about megapixels.

The other camera has a photosite size of around 8.2um, while the D2X is 5.5um. But I am finding I can hand hold them for a given scene at pretty much the same exact shutter speeds. Of couse this means a shorter lens on the D2X than on the other camera.

This has to be true, otherwise pocket cameras with 2.8um photosites would be impractical. But they are common. And I find I can hand hold a camera like the Sony P200 (7.2 MP) just fine at 1/30, which is about my limit for 30-50mm (35mm equivalent) views.

For some reason I got it into my head that photosite size was literally the issue, but it isn't.

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't find this surprising at all. And I don't even think it's a matter of higher MP meaning that camera shake is somehow "worse"; it's just that we've gotten in the habit of evaluating images at 100% view and there's a big difference between viewing a 12mp image at 100% on-screen versus doing the same with a 6mp image.

3. You make a good point. Wouldn't surprise me if that were the greater issue.

For example, I have had occasional focusing problems with the 17-55 DX. Under certain circumstances the durned things simply front focus a bit.

But! I never noticed the issue on the D70 because it is less apparent at 6MP than at 12.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.