Hand holding and megapixels

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Beezle, Sep 30, 2005.

1. I have been using a certain other 12 MP camera long with my D2X this week, and an interesting revelation came out of it. At least for me.

How well one can hand hold a particular field of view (a scene) is not about photosite size. It is about megapixels.

The other camera has a photosite size of around 8.2um, while the D2X is 5.5um. But I am finding I can hand hold them for a given scene at pretty much the same exact shutter speeds. Of couse this means a shorter lens on the D2X than on the other camera.

This has to be true, otherwise pocket cameras with 2.8um photosites would be impractical. But they are common. And I find I can hand hold a camera like the Sony P200 (7.2 MP) just fine at 1/30, which is about my limit for 30-50mm (35mm equivalent) views.

For some reason I got it into my head that photosite size was literally the issue, but it isn't.

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't find this surprising at all. And I don't even think it's a matter of higher MP meaning that camera shake is somehow "worse"; it's just that we've gotten in the habit of evaluating images at 100% view and there's a big difference between viewing a 12mp image at 100% on-screen versus doing the same with a 6mp image.

3. You make a good point. Wouldn't surprise me if that were the greater issue.

For example, I have had occasional focusing problems with the 17-55 DX. Under certain circumstances the durned things simply front focus a bit.

But! I never noticed the issue on the D70 because it is less apparent at 6MP than at 12.