Handheld 500mm

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Rory thanks for posting these. I really like them. Your perspective on a few here is unique and very inspiring.

Keep up the good work.

-Brett

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful as usual.
    Love your new frame. Like the birdie in the corner :>)))))

Very creative.

3. #5 (mallard) - intriguing point-of-view & crop
    #6 (mallard) - great composition & crop
    These 2 are far more interesting than the usual ducky shots because you allowed the ducks' heads to flow into the edge. (I don't know how to phrase that quite !!) I really like these two.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nicely done each and every one.

5. Hi Gale,

Glad you like the frame. It is the product of a program I am writing that gives you great flexibility and control over the final look. I'll be looking for some beta testers on this forum, perhaps after Christmas:wink:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

I'm most impressed by the fact that you got these hand held, and I really like your framing action. I'd be an interested tester when you get ready.

I still find shots taken with the 300 2.8 / 1.7 less sharp than comparable shots with the 500 f4 (as demonstrated by your evaluations), but if shooting hand held is the objective, then this set-up looks like a good alternative. Heard anything more about a possible 500 f4 VR? :rolleyes:

7. Frank,

No, haven't heard anything more about the 500VR.

The 300VR with assorted TC's is now my "walk-about" combo. What works for me is to rig a strap to the 300VR and tuck the camera/lens under my left arm. I have found I can easily walk around for several hours with this arrangement. The strap attached to the lens relieves the camera bayonet grip from stress.

I would be most grateful if you would help with the beta. Just to whet your appetite here are a few things the program (Ditto) can do:

o Save instructions in templates. You can have as many templates as you want.

o Execute any number of selected templates on the selected thumbs in Bridge.

o Within a template you can tell photoshop to:

- resize, convert color space, save to many formats
    - add 2 mats and a frame (in separate layers)
    - add doodads: a title, signature, exif data logo and graphic rectangle (in separate layers)
    - doodads can be sized, oriented and located anywhere
    - EXIF data can be selected, ordered and line breaks added to format to taste

- for each layer added you can apply:
    - a style
    - an action
    - layer opacity
    - layer fill opacity
    - layer blending mode

o Ditto is non-distructive - it never alters the original files

o Converted files can be saved in a (relative) subfolder to the active bridge folder or to any other (absolute) folder you choose.

This makes Ditto quite powerful, but also pretty darn complex. I will be sending the alpha code to Joe Colson (PrintEXIF) as this is sort of a PrintEXIF on steroids.

Ditto will only work on CS2 I am afraid.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

Sounds very cool. If I wasn't so busy at work, I'd offer to assist. What language are you using?

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to CS2. :rolleyes:

10. Rory
    Very well done incredible shots for hand held that lens combo looks spectacular, hey if you need anyone else to test out your new program keep me in mind.

11. You got it Mike. BTW, are you using your 300/4 anymore? Mine is gathering dust...

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. Well it is suitable to be impressed with the handholding of these shots, I spent an hour yesterday trying to do the same, I will take up the strap idea for sure, I like the frame program - looking forward to try it.

The COLORS are great! and very intereseting composition

BTW I got nothing yesterday.....

14. WOW! those are all handheld? Interesting perspective on the ducks and few other shots

I know someone who shoots dare I say Canon with a 500mm F/4 IS lens.. THis thing weight a ton with the camera attached...

TW. Do you need any other eta testers for this Ditto stuff? Count me in..:biggrin:

15. Sometimes there is little to be had. See you tomorrow Andreas. I will bring you a alpha copy of Ditto to play with...

16. I would not want to hand hold a 500/4 for more than a few seconds...

I will canvas for beta testers in the new year.

17. Rory
    I have not shot it once since getting my 200-400, I wish I had the 300 2.8 VR to compliment my 200-400 for my night football but since the night games are over that LLD has subsided. I ddi mount it on the D2X the other night and was amazed at how light it is. I will hold on to it, but should make a conscious effort to shoot it more