Handheld Las Vegas

Or "Look Ma, No Tripod!"

In a previous thread, I inquired here with D700 experts on whether I could do without a tripod for night shots on the Strip in Las Vegas, considering the D700's amazing high-ISO ability. Most of the responses came back with "yes use a tripod".

12 years ago, I endured the long walks on the Strip hauling my Bogen tripod. I decided against a tripod this time around at the last minute, after some test shots at my local downtown area yielded satisfactory results.

That said, my tests showed slight to severe underexposure with my nighttime shots. So for most of my Vegas shots, I dialed anywhere from +0.7 to +1.3 exposure compensation.

So here are some shots, all taken with 35-70/2.8 AFD. No pp, except for web resizing.

#1 - Eiffel Tower in Paris Hotel
1/30s f/3.2 ISO720 @44mm +0.7EC
Eiffel.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 - Encore Hotel
1/30s f/4.5 ISO3200 @70mm 0.0EC
Encore.jpg

#3 - Stratosphere
1/30s f/2.8 ISO500 @35mm +1.3EC
Stratosphere.jpg

thanks Brian! #2 was taken a few minutes after sunset around 6 pm. And I was rushing around to catch another shot of this nice blue night sky but was stuck on the wrong part of the Strip! Oh well, at least I got this one! :)

Nice images! Thanks for sharing. Isn't the D700 GRAND ? ;) My tripod seems to be getting less use since getting a D700 too. Well at least it's not alone as my flash is "needed" less often as well.

You are so right, Jaime. I hardly used my SB-600 on this trip! And where I needed some fill, the D700's built-in flash worked wonderfully.

You are so right, Jaime. I hardly used my SB-600 on this trip! And where I needed some fill, the D700's built-in flash worked wonderfully.

That is music to my ears. One day I will get my paws on a D700 and wondered if the pop-up flash would work well for just some fill in most cases.

BTW, nice shots. Would things have been any better with a 1.4 lens?

That is music to my ears. One day I will get my paws on a D700 and wondered if the pop-up flash would work well for just some fill in most cases.

I've found pop up flash useless with my lenses. I guess it would work OK with primes.

Thanks for all the comments!

It probably would, especially on shots that hit my set max ISO.
I've found pop up flash useless with my lenses. I guess it would work OK with primes.
Yup, this is my first body with a pop-up flash and my biggest lens is the 35-70/2.8AFD (most others are primes). I'm guessing that if I had a biggerr lens or one with a huge hood, I'd have problems with the built-in flash.

You did well not using a tripod. I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to carry one around.

-Chad

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom