Handheld moments...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, Jul 23, 2007.

1. PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I've been busy, but that doesn't mean I haven't been able to do a little shooting nonetheless.

I managed to pull off a fun handheld shot tonight. I'd been shooting without terribly good luck on a monopod. My line of sight with the juvenile BCNH simply didn't allow me to get there with the monopod in the midst of the branches, so I just collapsed the monopod and picked up the entire assembly to shoot through a keyhole in the willow tree foliage.

D200, 200-400mm, ISO800, processed in NC, no crop, copyright in PS-CS2

Always shoot.

John P.
  2. WOW! What a beauty! You know, sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do! Well done!
  3. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shot
  4. well done John
  5. Wow! Beautiful!
  6. Very nice looking photo John
  7. Outstanding shot John, what a great catch!
  8. Magnificent! John, where are you this week?
  9. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Simply excellent John. Where was this taken?
  10. DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Beautiful bird, beautiful shot.
  11. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    This one has it all from sharpness to the strong diagonals in the composition. Well done John!
  12. PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank and Nick :

Odessa, Texas. :eek: :rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah, I know that I've posted photos from here before, but I do get some good moments in this place... :biggrin:

John P.
  13. tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Incredible detail. Great capture.
  14. PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Folks :

Life offers special moments, that's for sure.

Thanks for the kind comments.

John P.
  15. PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Andy and Jimmy :

What's that thing people say about this stuff ?

Oh, yeah.

"I guess you just point the camera and shoot, eh ?" :wink:

Thanks for the kind comments.

John P.
  16. May have to go through Odessa and the way to or from Bosque this year... I'll contact you for shooting locations.:biggrin:
  17. Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Spectacular shot. It's got a hint of movement, a great pose, beautiful colors and that feeling of seeing something secret and special. Way to go.
  18. Great work in low light, John. And for those of you who don't know this man, yes, he does handhold his 200-400 with ease. Exif says 1/15" shutter.
  19. PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nick :

Sunset and sunrise are the times (obviously), so stay in one of the two hotels on JB Shepard Parkway, the Fairfield or the Hampton, which are in short walking distance of Centennial Park (AKA BUffalo Wallow), where you'll find dozens of herons some nights.

We'll chat sometime closer to your trip, and I can offer some other thoughts on neat spots to stop on the way out to the Bosque. :biggrin:

John P.
  20. PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Hunter :

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

As for something secret and special, the mosquitos drank about a quart of blood tonight...

John P.