handholding at slow ss 6 or 7?

Real Name
Andy
My problem is I never know my final output. I go out for a simple shoot and get an image someone wants 40x100".
My portrait clients usually want smaller print sizes and the occasional largish canvas or album. Not much profit opportunity there!

Are your large print sales wildlife images? I like what you’re doing with birds on black backgrounds, BTW.

My portrait clients usually want smaller print sizes and the occasional largish canvas or album. Not much profit opportunity there!

Are your large print sales wildlife images? I like what you’re doing with birds on black backgrounds, BTW.
The majority of my large prints are the egrets on black. With enough resolution the feathers just glow in the large prints.
Thanks for looking.
gary

Real Name
Andrew
+1
As others have said, there ought to be a mode that enables EFCS at any shutter speed below 1/250 (or 1/500 or selectable) and disables it above. I've never found any significant downside to using EFCS although I'm a pretty pedestrian shooter.
EFCS maxes out at 1/2000 shutter speed. There are times when I need above that extra shutter speed above 1/2000.

Comparing two cameras of different MP, say, the Z6 (24MP) and Z7 (46MP), it is misleading to state that the Z7 requires "more careful" handing to produce the same picture, because it has more resolution. The Z7's higher resolution simply means it has higher sensitivity to camera blur and/or focus error. That is to say, it can detect a tiny blur or a tiny mis-focus that the Z6 might not be able to detect. However, if you are creating a same-size print, say, 2 x 3 feet, the Z7 does not make it any harder to shoot than the Z6 does, simply because the Z7 has more resolution. If you exercise the same degree of care during the shooting, you should be able to get the same print quality between the Z6 and Z7. What the higher resolution of the Z7 means is that, if you are creating a 3 x 4 feet print (just an example), which the Z7 can create but not the Z6 (I am just saying this to convey my point), then you have to exercise more care to take full advantage of the extra resolution of the Z7.

Last edited:
Comparing two cameras of different MP, say, the Z6 (24MP) and Z7 (46MP), it is misleading to state that the Z7 requires "more careful" handing to produce the same picture, because it has more resolution. The Z7's higher resolution simply means it has higher sensitivity to camera blur and/or focus error. That is to say, it can detect a tiny blur or a tiny mis-focus that the Z6 might not be able to detect. However, if you are creating a same-size print, say, 2 x 3 feet, the Z7 does not make it any harder to shoot than the Z6 does, simply because the Z7 has more resolution. If you exercise the same degree of care during the shooting, you should be able to get the same print quality between the Z6 and Z7. What the higher resolution of the Z7 means is that, if you are creating a 3 x 4 feet print (just an example), which the Z7 can create but not the Z6 (I am just saying this to convey my point), then you have to exercise more care to take full advantage of the extra resolution of the Z7.
I was just going to post the same thing, less eloquently stated. Essentially you suffer no penalty and may reap rewards from shooting a higher megapixel sensor, at least with the Sony sensors in these cameras. At the pixel level you will see an advantage to the Z6, but when you downsize a Z7 file (or upsize a Z6 file) and compare, the Z7 should win on all IQ parameters. The reason to choose a Z6 would be that you don’t need big files, or don’t want to deal with the extra storage space and processing power required to use those files.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom