1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Handholding problems (pic added)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taat2d, Jul 10, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Ok I got a Sigma 70-200mm lens a couple of weeks ago. I starting to see from looking through my shots that my hand holding SUX!!! Up to about 105mm, my shots shots are sharp. anything over that, no matter the SS my shots are HORRIBLY blurry.

If i was using a VR would that help? From I remember someone saying, they told me at fast SS's the VR would not be a factor. Is this true? How can I get this better? Even if I use a monopod it's the same thing.

[​IMG]

1/800
    F/2.8
    ISO200
    Focal lenght 160mm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  2. The longer your focal length the more camera shake enters into the equation. Good technique will solve some of that. The use of VR is very helpful to eliminate camera shake for those that have it: however, at 200mm you should be able to hand hold your current camera/lens at a shutter speed of 1/400 or faster. With good technique I have been able to handhold my 70-200mm w/VR off at 1/125 consistently.

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wow...I don't know Joe...I own a Sigma 70-200 as well...and I shot this image with it.

beth_CHAIR2.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DId you buy this lens used or new? Definately if this lens is not VR then perhaps that could be a possibility. Make sure when you are firing off the shutter that you are completely still. My husband has a bad habit of holding the camera and bringing it down when he fires. We often get slightly cut off heads when he shoots.

You might want to lean up again something for stability. Not sure wish I could help. Going to NY next month perhaps I can meet you and your wife.

4. Seneca, I notice that your picture above was shot at 82mm and a SS of 1/160. This should not be a problem and obviously was not. The rule of thumb is twice the reciprocal of the focal length for hand held shots.

5. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Seneca I bought the lens used. If I hand hold at shorted focal lengths I don't have a problem. MY handholding technique is horrible. Even with my shorter lens my hands shake so bad. Check you PM about coming to NY. :biggrin:

6. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi

There is no way you should be getting camera shake with a 70-210. Can you post a photo

stew

7. I'm sure you meant "at a reasonable shutter speed." Good lenses are not immune to camera shake at slower speeds.

8. There was a thread a while back about good hand holding/shooting techniques. Some of the best advice for me was to shoot like a gun, since I have experience with that sort of thing... squeeze the trigger, don't jab at it... steady your breathing when you are about to shoot. Another tip is, especially for sports, but even for portraits, shoot a small burst of 3-5 shots. One of them is bound to be sharp! :smile:

9. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I don't have any experience with monopods, but this part bothers me a bit. What is your shutter speed when you use a monopod but still have soft pictures? Of course the monopod is not going to be as steady as a tripod, but are you sure it's not the lens? It seems to me like using a monopod should eliminate at least part of the problem - if you're having the exact same results with handheld vs monopod, then I wonder if it's another problem. Of course, this is assuming reasonably fast shutter speed for its focal length, like what Gordon had mentioned.

Have you tested this lens on a tripod (outdoors, in good light, etc) and seen that it's capable of taking sharp pictures?

10. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Let me start over with where my problem is. I'm having a hard time shooting images of my son playing soccer. I took this shot last night handheld, with no problem.

[​IMG]

SS 1/250
    ISO 200
    F/2.8
    Focal length 70mm

11. Actually Joe, you did pretty good. The sharpness is there in your image you just need a little PP to bring it out. Here is your image sharpened and with a little levels adjustment. You can count the hairs on his head.

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    How will this work when shooting AF/ON? I don't use the half press to lock focus.

13. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    hold down AF-ON, and hold down the trigger to keep firing. On the D80, use AF-C mode.

14. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    To me it just looks very soft or noisy. I'm not expecting to shoot like a pro.... at least not yet..... ROFLMAO I figure I'll give it about another month or two before that.....

Now looking back at my shots from last night, and last week I see last night I was shooting wide open , and last week with better results I had it stopped down.

15. Shooting a burst of 3 or more shots has nothing to do with the AF/On or half shutter method of focusing. It is a separate setting on your camera.

16. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    If I use AF-C that fires on shutter priority correct? Is there a way on the D80 to set AF-C to focus priority? I know the D200 and up has this feature. I can't find it anywhere in the D80 manual or online. I HOPE someone can help me with this one.

17. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    OK I do have it set to shoot like that. I didn't know it would still work using AF/ON. What a dope I am that I didn't try it last night.

18. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I don't think so, at least I wasn't able to find it on my D80 either.

19. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    DAMN!!!!! :eek: 

Hehe:biggrin:

20. He is not talking about AF-Continuous but rather AF-On which can be used in the continuous or single mode, whichever he wants. I don't think that is germain to the issue he has raised.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.