Hands on with a D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by dbirdsong, Dec 11, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well I got to play a little bit with the D200 tonight while out for dinner with a good friend that works Nikon.
    First this is me with it..

[​IMG]

Robert really hadn't spent anytime with the camera other than charging the battery and putting it in the camera. He hadn't even had time to set the date and time yet. (Holiday's makes it hard for people like us that work in the industry to even have time to play with new toys.)
    The camera was set to NEF & Fine JPEG.
    I only took a few pictures with it, all inside a restaurant. These are with the new 18-200 VR
    This shot was under exposed by 1 stop.
    This is the Jpeg
    [​IMG]
    I corrected the exposure using the Exposure correction in CS2. Other than that, I only resized the shot using the save for web at highest quality.

This is the NEF of the same shot, converted with the new Nikon View NEF plugin in CS2, in which I only corrected the exposure.
    [​IMG]

Again resized the same as the jpeg above.

The NEF file is 15.2 mb's
    The fine jpeg is only 2.9mb's

Now it was more of a time of talking about our time exchanging war stories and not really about the new camera (we both had spent all day doing demo's selling camera for Christmas gifts).
    The camera really focus' fast in low light with both the 18-200 VR and with my Sigma 24-70 F2.8.
    I really liked the viewfinder, and the LCD is very impressive.
    I really didn't understand a lot of the controls at first, but after playing with it a little they started making sense to me.
    I can't wait to get one for myself.

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing!
    Any news re: release date?
    How do you compare the 18-200VR to the 24-120VR on first impressions?

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nope, and I asked :biggrin:

As for comparing the 2 lenses, I can't. I have never touched the 24-120 VR.
    I do own the Nikon 28-200 G, and I was impressed with the lens.
    I can see it being a very popular lens after the little I played with it.

4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Ah, the "tight lipped secret launch..." - thanks for asking anyway!

I preordered 2) 18-200's. If they are really impressive, I'll put my 24-120's on the market. I have 2) very sharp copies, so I will wait awhile before making that move.

5. Were the example photos made with the camera's internal flash unit?

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That was with a SB800 bounced with the built in white bounce card...
    The interesting thing is, the EXIF in the new Nikon view knew that I used that.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Hey I want to get the camera... I was on the phone and in a local store today trying to find out if they could tell me when I could buy one.
    I have to admit, I might have to add that lens to by bag someday too.

8. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    ...small question here... obviously you haven't posted any pictures with this new B+W mode (or whatever the correct Nikonese is for it)... did you get a chance to play with that? Are you holding out on us? :wink:

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Didn't get to play with much at all... Sitting in a restaurant with your boss (I am a rep for Kodak P&S Digital) and a nikon manager we were talking more about the old days when Robert was with Kodak...

10. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Looks like I'll get to find out first hand!! I just got word that mine is going to be shipped to me on Friday!!

I'm so happy!! :biggrin:

11. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Hmm Time to make some more calls... I really want to get one ASAP!!