Hangar One

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by David_Bailey, Aug 2, 2008.

1. This a historic hangar at Moffett Field in Mountain View, California. It's in danger of being torn down because of PCB's lead and asbestos. (Click here for story.) This hangar was built in 1932 to house derigibles. It is so massive that the top of the hangar has a different weather climate than the floor and they can fly helicopters indoors inside this thing. I grew up just about 1-2 miles from this and used to watch the jets fly in and out as well as the Blue Angels, etc.

I am in CA for a few days and thought I should get some shots of it before it's either torn down or stripped of it's skin.

2724551180_0140c7b00e_o.

2. mehta916

mehta916

Aug 2, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Wow brings back memories from when I was little. We used to pass it going to my dads work in San Francisco. Hope they don't tear it down.

3. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  4. mehta916

mehta916

Aug 2, 2008
    Los Angeles
    One of my fondest memories of Moffet Field is when I was 8, seeing Air Force One parked at the end of the field by the freeway.

5. As a kid I used to stand on the roof of the apts. I lived in and watch the Blue Angels fly around from Moffett Field. They used to go right over us and once even got a thumbs up from the pilot.

6. Wonderful shot. Never seen it in real life but plenty of photos and a very accurate depiction in MS Flight Simulator.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.