Hanging at the local lake...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Feb 18, 2005.

1. I didn't get invited to Merrit Island, so I went to the local lake all by myself :cry: But I found I had a
    lot of company anyway. There was a break in the rain, and the birds and the people were enjoying the
    spring-like weather... and each other.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only waves in water were from the birds were paddling around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... but most of them were on the shore, searching for food or just enjoying the sun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ran across a black duck, something I haven't seen before. Can anyone ID him for me?

[​IMG]

This Canadian Goose was having a fine old time until his lady-friend showed up and started reading
    him the riot act. He took it for a while, and then took took off for quieter climes... the big coward :).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Love the ppl shots, Frank

esp the kid on the bike. He's so full of excitement! And, the goose in flight shot is really good too. How did you get a focus lock on it?

3. Nice interaction on the first three images. Good color saturation on all, and well taken bird photo's. The forward swept wings on the Canadian Goose is really neat Frank.

4. Re: Love the ppl shots, Frank

It was a classic "snapshot", Steve. The bird was on me before I knew it, and I swung the camera up and fired without thinking. I was a full zoom of 200mm, f/9, and in AF-C mode, and somehow all that worked out. I was amazed when I reviewed the picture.

5. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I posted this on the "other place", so to save typing I'll copy and paste it here as well. :)

Nicely done Frank, great shots, particularly the first and last ones.

I think you'll find that your black duck is one of the many "Domestic Mallards" - essentially escaped domestic ducks crossed with Mallards. They come in all varieties and colors.

And as far as the Canada Goose goes, an (possibly) interesting (well it is to me) aside is that the species was just very recently (last year?) split in two. The larger goose is the Canada Goose while a smaller variety is the Cackling Goose - I'm 99.9% sure yours are Canade Geese. Okay, okay, so it's not that interesting.

Still a nice flight shot and as I said above, that first shot is really vibrant and lively.

Neil

6. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Frank
    that first one is priceless,everything fits into place,great capture
    I also like the black duck beautiful bird
    Thanks for sharing

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005