Hanging mounted prints without frames...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hotrod4x5, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Interested in solutions to hang print that are mounted on gatorfoam or masonite without a frame. Those of you that hang prints sans frame, how have you done it?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hummmmmm Interesting question.
    I would like to know also.
    How would you keep them clean without a glass over it.

3. Dust them off? If they are laminated, use windex.

Still looking for hanging solutions... anybody?

4. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    I had a local printing service make up some 20 x 30 posters (printed from a digital photo) - they laminated the print to foam board and sprayed/applied some sort of clear coating to protect it. Any printer that does commercial displays should be able to help you out. I would stay away from Masonite as the oils in the board tend to creep into the print if it is not sealed well prior to adhesive.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well yeah , if they are laminated...lolol
    Just not sure on some of the options of getting a reasonabley priced way for prints to hang.
    Framing cost an arm and a leg

6. In the past when I was even more poor than now I would get glass cut that would fit over the picture and matte. Then I purchased mirror holders that were used to keep mirrors attached to their frame. I'd put the picture on the wall, put the glass over the picture, and then attach all to th ewall with the mirror frame holders. They actually looked good. You did pay for the glass, and the walls had a few more holes in them, but I avoided the cost of the frame.

7. Logan

Logan Guest

try here for frames, A LOT cheaper than custom and very good quality, i do not have any as of now but i know someone who buys from them religiously for all their art/photos.

8. Interesting info about Masonite, if it is that scary, I wonder why so many labs and finishers offer it?

Gale, exactly, framing can cost 2 to 3 times as much as the print or more. You walk into almost any lab and they have prints hanging without frames. I have a few ideas, but I was fishing for more.

Thanks to all, still looking for more ideas how to hang framelessly.

9. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Another way I do temporary mounts is to sandwich the print between 2 pieces of Plexiglass with small screws in the corners.

10. JoeA

JoeA Guest

Maybe ask the lab manager how they do it.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have mine done locally by a pro
    So may ask joe at Access Photo Graphics
    Joe is really cool
    He is a pro photog, PS guru and a pro printing business.
    what a great find for me.
    He pays personal attention to all my photos and if they need anything he does it for me.
    Color cast I may have missed etc.
    Great

12. I've got a couple ideas on the table, just looking to see if there is anything new.

Looks like no one here is hanging prints without frames. Thanks for the responses.

13. Masonite has become more and more acceptable way of mounting pictures and would be considered Avant Guard in some circles. My daughter has been mounting pictures that way for years and has never had any oil leach into the picture. It certainly would not be considered archival but does serve the purpose well. It is acceptable to just set the picture on a bookshelf (lean against back) or your could use a stick on hanger. They are not heavy so a stick on will work well. My printer (WHCC) offers this service and I feel certain that they seal the Masonite before mounting the print. I oft times use this service when giving a print to a model and they love it.

14. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    If they're on gator board, just put two small s hooks on the back, and then use some metal twine to put it over a push pin/nail in the wall.

15. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Are you thinking of the wire clips that are sold to attach a matted photo to a piece of glass for a minimalist look?

16. Nope, no glass, just a mounted, laminated print.

17. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    I used to get stuff mounted that way at a poster shop in Berkeley back in the 80's. On Telegraph, pretty far south, on the west side of the street IIRC. The stuff is holding up very well over the years despite big changes in climate. We have a big Joseph Holmes print hanging on the wall in front of me as I type this.

18. PossumCorner

PossumCorner Guest

We use the velcro style twin sticky-back hangers made for the purpose, think the trade name is Commando made by 3M (in Australia) and are sold alongside normal picture-hangers in hardware stores, K-Mart, Bunnings etc. Small-size pack of four about six dollars, good to carry weight up to one pound. Said to last forever but peel off wall easily when no longer required. I could be missing some reason not to use them, seems too "obvious" as that is what they are sold for, lightweight pictures and small mirrors. (Have seen Blue-tac used in an emergency, short term tacky solution).