Hannah the Great Snake Huntress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, May 16, 2007.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Yeah right. If you believe that... well, you know the line.
    I was walking across the backyard this afternoon, with Hannah the Great Snake Huntress in the lead, clearing all danger from the Master's path, when I noticed a snake... oh.. around 3 feet I guess.. lying in the pine straw beneath a bush. Think Hannah the Great saw it?

Are you kidding! Now if it had been a lizard.. why yes sir.. we keep our eyes open for little lizards! They're fun to chase! So I went back in the house and picked up the first camera I saw which was a PS Canon and shot the photos.
    The snake went up the bush.. probably because it recognized Hannah the Great was nearby... uh huh..
    Something tells me though that maybe, because Hannah the Great is now lying in the grass 50 feet away, the snake was trying to get away from me and the one eyed snake I held in my hand..
    it was very curious about the lens and as I held it closer and closer the animal would extend toward it for a better look. Or maybe to bite it or me.. I'm not sure which..
    Closer and a little closer..
    at this point the camera is about 8 to 12 inches away from it.
    But it then turned and rapidly climbed to the top of the bush and off onto a large tree limb and up that tree.
    I guess it's still up there.
    Hannah the Great Snake Huntress? Lying on her back in the grass, maybe counting clouds... who knows.
    Jarrell

2. That's too funny and great pictures and close up of the snake

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    YOU got that close....eeekkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I am with Hannah the Great.. RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Great story and images
    Thank you for a nice dinner smile:)))

4. Nice! Looks like a black rat snake!

I never have any luck of running into snakes since I turned into an adult a long time ago. dang it.

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    For the past week or so there have been several snakes around the yard, here and there, maybe one or two sighted over and over..:biggrin: But, one in one of the front flower beds was considerably thicker than this slender fellow and another a good bit shorter. They all seemed to be the same type though. That's ok, I don't mind them... it's the rattlers and the copperheads I have to keep an eye out for. Now, you won't catch me getting this close to one of those. No sir. I think maybe this one could see it's own reflection in the cameras lens and thought it was time to make little snakes.
    Yep, that's what I need.. a buncha little snakes.
    Jarrell

6. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    You got a black rat snake. You also have a nice field next to your houst just full of mice and rats. I`ll bet you have a bird feeder up with some of that seed hitting the ground and becoming mouse/rat food. Chances are that your new found friend is making a nice living off of you feeding the wildlife. I have some big ones here on the farm. We pick them up so often that we know many of them by old scars or marks on them. They are very gental snakes unless your a rat.

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thank you Robert for the I.D. Carol said it was probably a rat snake. Ah yes, plenty of food around for birds and mice, which makes plenty of food for snakes. :smile:
    Jarrell

8. What a beautiful creature! I love snakes and rat snakes make excellent pets... they become quite docile in captivity if my memory serves me correctly.

9. Hannah is a girl after my own heart!! :smile:

10. With help like that...

well, at least she probably thought about protecting you.

Glad to see Hannah is still posing for you Jarrell. That head-on snake shot is great, as well as your story!

11. That reminds me of one more reason I like being up north. Sure, our winter weather sucks big time but I rarely, rarely, rarely get to see snakes (and never that big)...which suits me juuuuust fine!!!!! They give me the creeps!

12. That is one smart dog Jarrell. Nice pics of the snake.