Happened to me.

One always seems to hear stories of "you must have a nice camera to take pictures with". I live in a 55+ community. We were having a get together for the first time in driveways in different neighborhoods of the community. I brought my camera and photographed our neighborhood. Gave the neighbor who hosted the party several 8 by 10's He was very happy with them and said you must really have a nice camera. I said to myself it happened to me! The good thing I ran into two ladies who a few days later saw the pictures and said you take really nice pictures. Felt good. (I wonder if I should buy a better camera and I could take much better photos?(not really))

One always seems to hear stories of "you must have a nice camera to take pictures with". I live in a 55+ community. We were having a get together for the first time in driveways in different neighborhoods of the community. I brought my camera and photographed our neighborhood. Gave the neighbor who hosted the party several 8 by 10's He was very happy with them and said you must really have a nice camera. I said to myself it happened to me! The good thing I ran into two ladies who a few days later saw the pictures and said you take really nice pictures. Felt good. (I wonder if I should buy a better camera and I could take much better photos?(not really))
I bet that's happened to many of us; It has to me several times, and I'm probably slowly getting immune to it :eek: .

I have a good friend who lately has been buying a new camera every couple of years trying to figure out the ideal fit. Every time I ask her what kind it is, such as mirrorless, or ASP-C, or whatever, she never knows. She also says that when buying a new camera she is always determined to remember that stuff, but never does.

Just two days ago I received an email from a complete stranger. She had seen my photographs on my website, and wanted to know what gear I used because she was not getting nearly the same results with her gear. :) She actually had reasonably decent gear - so I explained that her camera settings and technique probably had far more to do with her results than her gear.

We now have a dialog going about settings, technique, environmental conditions, etc...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I get the "you must have a really nice camera" comment often. Depending on who is commenting, I may use one of the following responses:

"Thanks......."

"Well, you can borrow it and see if you get the same results"

"Yeah, it's similar to how van Gogh used just the right brushes....."

"Yeah, it's similar to how Jimi Hendrix (or Eric Clapton) used such a nice guitar....."

:p:rolleyes::D

I bet that's happened to many of us; It has to me several times, and I'm probably slowly getting immune to it :eek: .
Its funny I have been doing photography for 50 years and it never happened to me. It is just so silly of a statement he made.

I have a good friend who lately has been buying a new camera every couple of years trying to figure out the ideal fit. Every time I ask her what kind it is, such as mirrorless, or ASP-C, or whatever, she never knows. She also says that when buying a new camera she is always determined to remember that stuff, but never does.
At least she is enjoying the cameras and you have a friend to help and to talk with about photography.

Just two days ago I received an email from a complete stranger. She had seen my photographs on my website, and wanted to know what gear I used because she was not getting nearly the same results with her gear. :) She actually had reasonably decent gear - so I explained that her camera settings and technique probably had far more to do with her results than her gear.

We now have a dialog going about settings, technique, environmental conditions, etc...
That is very nice to hear. Doesn't it make you feel good to help?

For more than 15 years I did art fairs showing specialty glass that I made in a home studio. Invariably, someone would come through and turn to their companion and say "you know, I should take a class and make stuff like this." I learned to just smile and ignore it but it used to make my spouse crazy. There are certain phrases every art fair artist learns - 'Ishouldtakeaclass', 'Bebacks', 'doyouhaveacard', 'willyoucutthepricelatertoday' . . .

Most people aren't educated in photography and the equipment and techniques used and would have no idea that several different cameras, older and newer, can give near identical results in skilled hands. Most are familiar with cars, TV's, microwave ovens etc which have better features, more power, more efficient as you upgrade to newer/nicer items. If it ever happened to me I'd just say "yeah, it is a nice camera" and leave it at that... I don't have time or patience to educate someone in the basics of photography so would just take the compliment on my gear.

I get that comment quite often. I heard it multiple times while shooting a family event last weekend.

In my view, the people commenting were just trying to be nice and thought they were making a compliment. I just said thanks...and that I am really enjoying the camera...and left it at that. I felt it would be rude to reply in a manner that would make them feel like what they were saying was an insult--when I knew full well that wasn't what they intended.

Glenn

I'm with Glenn on this one. I get this a lot. My wife actually takes more offense to these statements than I do. She will usually chime in with some comment about how my photographic skills are more important than the gear. I usually just shake it off and say "thanks".

I don't take offense. I just respond that it is a nice camera, I hope I get some good shots, and then I just keep on taking pictures. If I've actually gotten something decent, I give them a quick view on the rear LCD. Some folks even think it's a sales pitch for Nikon cameras!

Real Name
Dallas Pottinger
Most people aren't educated in photography and the equipment and techniques used and would have no idea that several different cameras, older and newer, can give near identical results in skilled hands. Most are familiar with cars, TV's, microwave ovens etc which have better features, more power, more efficient as you upgrade to newer/nicer items. If it ever happened to me I'd just say "yeah, it is a nice camera" and leave it at that... I don't have time or patience to educate someone in the basics of photography so would just take the compliment on my gear.
You know, that is exactly what I say. "It IS a nice camera, and I am very lucky to have it!" My gear and my photography have slowly improved over the years, more or less in tandem. Some of that improvement is due to better gear, and perhaps some to my being inspired by the better gear. But no offense to the artists who love film -- I get it, but I would never have resumed photography if digital hadn't come along, so gear does have something to do with it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom