1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Happiest people in Europe and the World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tojor, Apr 19, 2007.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
  2. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Iceland ranked #4??!!! During the 4 1/2 years I lived there, I found most Icelanders somber, discontented, and downright unfriendly. But, then again, maybe they are happy that way!

- Jay

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    In the later years they've struck oil on Iceland. Maybe that made them less discontented and somber. :biggrin:

4. Torben, allow me to say how happy I am for your and your fellow Danes. :smile:

My observation has been, at least for people who are healthy, have enough to eat, and haven't experienced trauma of some sort, is that folks who've made a decision to be happy generally are, while some poor souls are determined not to be happy no matter what.

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Dave.

Seriously speaking I think you are right of course. I think the parameters used were those you mentioned plus education opportunities (All education up to university level is free) and trust in our democracy.

High taxes were obviously not a parameter nor prices on photo equipment.

6. We spent several days in Copenhagen last May. Perhaps their contentment might be inner peace; folks seemed to be preoccupied, not looking up and making eye contact or smiling.

Of course it was very chiilly, and the city center is not really a good place to judge the humor of people. I know I was never happy to be working in downtown Washington DC!

Rich

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Rich, I'm sorry you caught us on a bad day(s). Maybe people were longing for summer to arrive. Usually Copenhagen is a considered a pretty friendly city but generally speaking I think that Scandinavians are less outspoken and not as easygoing as Americans. I've been to US a lot of times and have many friends there and I'm always overwhelmed by their friendliness and hospitality.

8. Friendliest place I've ever been has to be Columbia, Missouri.

And yes, I've spent several years outside the USA.

9. I know what you mean. It was 38 degree (f) in Copenhagen on 24 May when we got off the plane...in our short sleeve shirts where we left from Rome earlier in the day!

I once began telling one of my programming team members from Finland a joke I had just heard..."How can you tell a Finnish extrovert?" I asked. "They don't look at their feet when they talk to you." She quipped...

:wink:

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Never been there and probably never will. They may be friendly but are the happy? :biggrin: :biggrin:

11. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I hope Jukka (j.ankanpaa) read this. :866:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.