Happy 4th of July - Inspiration!!

Real Name
Ken St John
In these very tough times, it's getting increasingly difficult to remember what it means to be an American. In case you're having doubts ... here's a way to revive your spirit!!

Lee Greenwood and the USAF Singing Sergeants

I remain immensely proud of my country, and cherish the 20+ years I was able to serve it on active duty, and the 27 years of retired service since. The USAF Singing Sargents have always been wonderful ambassadors of my USAF, and they certainly excel here as well.

I'll also remind anyone that my oath to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" has no expiration date!!

Have a safe and happy holiday!!

Ken

Last edited:
Ken – It’s going to take a little more than Lee Greenwood and the singing sergeants to get my spirits up this year. As I’ve watched my fellow citizens around the country ignore the most rudimentary safety practices to contain the coronavirus, I’ve lost my faith. George Washington spent eight long years leading the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War under some of the worst conditions imaginable and now many of us can’t even restrain ourselves from congregating in close proximity on beaches and in bars and restaurants. Even something as simple as wearing a protective mask has been politicized. At the national and local level many of our leaders have failed us over and over again. Now, as we approach the 4th we are facing a massive increase in coronavirus infections with no end in sight and a spike in coronavirus deaths is inevitable.

I’ve read quite a bit about the founding of the country and deeply appreciate the service and sacrifices of those who have served in the military. However, I think the service and sacrifices of our medical professionals and staff during this pandemic are being undermined and disrespected by the way many of us are behaving. This year I will commemorate the 4th quietly at home, grieve for my country, and hope for a better future.

Real Name
Ken St John
Ken – It’s going to take a little more than Lee Greenwood and the singing sergeants to get my spirits up this year. As I’ve watched my fellow citizens around the country ignore the most rudimentary safety practices to contain the coronavirus, I’ve lost my faith. George Washington spent eight long years leading the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War under some of the worst conditions imaginable and now many of us can’t even restrain ourselves from congregating in close proximity on beaches and in bars and restaurants. Even something as simple as wearing a protective mask has been politicized. At the national and local level many of our leaders have failed us over and over again. Now, as we approach the 4th we are facing a massive increase in coronavirus infections with no end in sight and a spike in coronavirus deaths is inevitable.

I’ve read quite a bit about the founding of the country and deeply appreciate the service and sacrifices of those who have served in the military. However, I think the service and sacrifices of our medical professionals and staff during this pandemic are being undermined and disrespected by the way many of us are behaving. This year I will commemorate the 4th quietly at home, grieve for my country, and hope for a better future.

Totally agree about the health care workers being true heroes in this fight!!

But, here's how I, a multi-symptom vulnerable "target" to this virus, keep things in perspective ... here in Pierce County, Washington, the infection rate has never once climbed above 1% of the population. Thus, I remind myself that I remain in the 99% that have been un-touched. Doesn't mean I ignore things, and all of us should follow guidelines and protect ourselves and each other!! But ... it helps me keep this in perspective as well.

Happy Fourth!!

Ken

Ken – It’s going to take a little more than Lee Greenwood and the singing sergeants to get my spirits up this year.

right on John

Nicely put!

I'm deeply proud of our country and what it stands for and equally proud of my time in the Air Force during the late 60's. I'm celebrating the 4th to the fullest, damn the virus, I'll be damned if I'm going to live the rest of my life in my house afraid to go out.

Louie – I appreciate your patriotic zeal and service in the Air Force. As Americans, each of us is entitled to observe July 4th in our own way. I usually do it quietly anyway thinking about the Founders of our country and what they were trying to achieve through the Revolutionary War, Constitutional Convention, and subsequent Bill of Rights after the Constitution was ratified..

With that said, if we “damn the virus” it will definitely damn us. Just today, at least two counties in Texas announced that their hospitals are at capacity and county judges are urging residents to shelter in place. In Houston they are close to facing the same dilemma and that is just in Texas alone.

Cautiously venturing out is one thing; throwing caution to the wind and acting like the coronavirus doesn’t exist is quite another thing. Based on the science, we know that social distancing and wearing a mask definitely helps prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Since new cases of coronavirus infections are running at over 50,000 per day, social distancing and wearing a mask really doesn’t seem like much of a sacrifice to make to help protect our fellow Americans, particularly for those who have already sacrificed and served our country.

Being English can't imagine what it is like to be American

In a word freedom.... They were British but except for that nasty spot of bother of King George and taxation without representation....

I wonder how Great Great Britain would have been if the colonies, like US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India etc. were given representation....

I'm Canadian so we just watch from afar.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Be Safe, Stay Strong and Be Kind. Happy 4th of July to our American Friends." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Paul
My wife and I lived in the US for three years from 1997 to 2000. We had a ball. Loved the country and the people we met. We still have great friends there today. Thankfully, my job has kept me going there regularly over the years since, so I still see it as a sort of second home. Being British, I always got a lot of ribbing from my American friends on 4th July. My usual response was to remind them that in 1776 there were no Americans - the independence war was between factions of British !

I know we shouldn’t do politics here - but I’ll say that I’m coming to the forum having just watched Trump’s Rushmore speech on YouTube. I was quite shocked. I don’t agree with his politics, but that’s not the point. As the President he should be building bridges and finding common ground between all Americans. His speech did exactly the opposite.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
I can't image what it is like not being an American. BUT... if I had a second choice, a Brit would be it!
I think Churchill said that the USA and the UK are two countries separated by a common language!

Actually, having lived in the US, what I will say is that the common language can lull you into a false sense of security. You think it's the same, but actually there are a lot of cultural and political differences. It took me a few months to realise that - and I was living in MA !!

I wonder how Great Great Britain would have been if the colonies, like US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India etc. were given representation....

I think about that, a lot! As I noted above, my mum was British, my dad Indian, and I formally adopted the US as home almost 50 years ago. All 3 nations have their histories—the good, the bad, and the unknown. I celebrate the customs, traditions and successes of all 3 nations; I enjoy their foods, music, cultures, people, and more. I am saddened by, and even embarrassed by, their failures and their humanitarian lapses.
And at the end of the day, I think of beliefs such as those championed by Gandhi, "I am a Hindu, a Christian, a Muslim and a Jew. . ."; or those of Kennedy, "ask not . . . , but what you can do for your country"; or Elizabeth II, "Let us not take ourselves too seriously . . ."
That is, I take the best of my past and meld it into me—after all I take great pride in checking the box that says "☐ Other" when asked about race and ethnicity!
Anyway, onward to the future.

I agree. But this site is pants! I learned that phrase from a book I found in my boot under a spanner.
I'd been in the US a couple of days and was working on a crossword puzzle when I made a mistake. I tried to erase it but my pencil didn't have an eraser, so I turned to my American roommate and said, "Do you have a rubber I can use?" :oops::rolleyes:

Louie – I appreciate your patriotic zeal and service in the Air Force. As Americans, each of us is entitled to observe July 4th in our own way. I usually do it quietly anyway thinking about the Founders of our country and what they were trying to achieve through the Revolutionary War, Constitutional Convention, and subsequent Bill of Rights after the Constitution was ratified..

With that said, if we “damn the virus” it will definitely damn us. Just today, at least two counties in Texas announced that their hospitals are at capacity and county judges are urging residents to shelter in place. In Houston they are close to facing the same dilemma and that is just in Texas alone.

Cautiously venturing out is one thing; throwing caution to the wind and acting like the coronavirus doesn’t exist is quite another thing. Based on the science, we know that social distancing and wearing a mask definitely helps prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Since new cases of coronavirus infections are running at over 50,000 per day, social distancing and wearing a mask really doesn’t seem like much of a sacrifice to make to help protect our fellow Americans, particularly for those who have already sacrificed and served our country.
Very well said John, and I certainly wasn't implying to throw caution to the wind, quite the opposite. I am very careful and do social distancing when I'm out and do wear a mask when required, but I'm not going to live in my basement for fear of catching the virus. I personally believe that the whole thing has become so politicized that one has to wonder at time what the message is and is it based on science.
Be Safe.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom