Happy Birthday Carolus Linnaeus.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob the Spiderman, May 23, 2007.

1. Happy Birthday Carolus Linnaeus.

You would have been 300 today and without you the world of botany and entomology would have been in chaos.

For those of you who wonder what I am on about, then let me enlighten you. This man stands up there with Gallileo-Newton and Einstein.

It is due to him that Harry S and I speak a common language, although his is more common than mine!

It also means that when I see a post by Pendragon or anybody else who uses latin names rather than common names for their subjects Harry and I plus a number of others on NC know what we are about to see.

Example. In the USA you have a butterfly called the Monarch, but it is also known as the Milkweed and the Wanderer. Three names, all different, and not all known by everyone. But due to Linnaeus the two words Danaus plexipus are known to all entomologists throughout the world. He gave us this common language which we now all use.

So Happy Birthday Carolus and a big thank you from all of us natural history nuts.

Tribe Fredrick.
    Species Robert William.
    Common Name Bob the Spiderman-THE OLD MAN- TROUBLE-and sometimes DARLING but not that often.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  2. Great post, Bob! I knew about his birthday, but never thought about honoring him here. Everything you said is true. Without this binary nomenclature we would be at a big loss.

Little Freudian slip ??? :biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

3. TRUST YOU.:eek::eek::redface::redface:

There are too many pussess about for my liking!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  4. As a University of Massachusetts Botany major I admire your post! Gregor Mendel was my hero (July 20, 1822). You just motivated me to look up his birth date.