Share Happy place

What a beautiful summer evening!! I've been trying to focus on living in the moment more. There is too much stress and contention all around over every issue and it eats away at me sometimes. So tonight I listened to an uplifting podcast while I enjoyed being outdoors in our backyard. It was heavenly. No thought of covid, racism, politics, responsibilities....just pure peace. I wish everyone could find a happy place. I need to do this more. If you would like to share a happy place for you, please feel free.
_DSC9019.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_DSC9059.jpg
_DSC9065.jpg
_DSC9071.jpg
_DSC9089.jpg

Last edited:
Happy and peaceful place it is! Thanks for sharing it all.

I echo your sentiment. Our son was up from SLC for a few days last weekend and his positivity and energy rubbed of on us. I've always been a "worry only about the things you have control of" person, but as you note, lots of spiraling nastiness out there. My wife and I had dinner on the patio surrounded my mostly white flowers and Fire Weed, enjoying homemade bread, chicken liver patê and onion marmalade, salad from a neighbors garden, peas and blackberries from the farmer's market, with nuthatches and finches at the bird feeder, a cool breeze from the south, and Brahms and Mozart playing in the background. Life is good! and we are at peace!

(I have the same hummingbird feeder!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Happy and peaceful place it is! Thanks for sharing it all.

I echo your sentiment. Our son was up from SLC for a few days last weekend and his positivity and energy rubbed of on us. I've always been a "worry only about the things you have control of" person, but as you note, lots of spiraling nastiness out there. My wife and I had dinner on the patio surrounded my mostly white flowers and Fire Weed, enjoying homemade bread, chicken liver patê and onion marmalade, salad from a neighbors garden, peas and blackberries from the farmer's market, with nuthatches and finches at the bird feeder, a cool breeze from the south, and Brahms and Mozart playing in the background. Life is good! and we are at peace!

(I have the same hummingbird feeder!)

View attachment 1664565
Heavenly, Nick!

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I understand your sentiments and your pictures illustrate homely calm perfectly.

Last Sunday I just had to get out to see and photograph something beautiful and positive. Watching too much TV news or reading the newspaper with the incredible amount of soul destroying bad news just eats away at my and i think our sanity.

I am an UK Expat, and seeing Churchill's statue and the Cenotaph which remembers our dead ( including my Grandfather) in two World wars defaced, was just too much for me to stomach, especially the chilling lack of courage shown by the police and the authorities to stop the sacrilege.

I enjoy photographing our cultural heritage, and watching the mindless morons tear down statues, with the tacit approval of those in power is just so depressing, or read about an idiot Bishop in Bristol, who covered up some old stained glass windows in a cathedral because they might cause offence.

I could go on.

I understand your sentiments and your pictures illustrate homely calm perfectly.

Last Sunday I just had to get out to see and photograph something beautiful and positive. Watching too much TV news or reading the newspaper with the incredible amount of soul destroying bad news just eats away at my and i think our sanity.

I am an UK Expat, and seeing Churchill's statue and the Cenotaph which remembers our dead ( including my Grandfather) in two World wars defaced, was just too much for me to stomach, especially the chilling lack of courage shown by the police and the authorities to stop the sacrilege.

I enjoy photographing our cultural heritage, and watching the mindless morons tear down statues, with the tacit approval of those in power is just so depressing, or read about an idiot Bishop in Bristol, who covered up some old stained glass windows in a cathedral because they might cause offence.

I could go on.
How sad for you. I hope you continue to find beautiful things to photograph to help you cope. What an angry world we live in.

It's always nice to have a happy home, especially during these times when we're spending more time in it than usual. These photos certainly speak of peace, happiness and loving care.
Yes. It’s going to be a while before I want to travel very far. So home has to be a place of refuge for me. I hope you have a peaceful place, too!

Indeed, that IS a "happy place," Terri! Yours as well, Nick! Both of you have lovingly tended your gardens and decks, and it's beautiful! My "happy place" is usually my deck, too, but it is just a small one and I don't have any flowers on it, there's room for a couple of chairs and a table and that's about it. When weather conditions are bad I can easily move the plastic table and chairs into a corner to somewhat protect them from the elements. In the warm weather during the spring, summer and early fall I pretty much am out on the deck every afternoon and evening with my iPad and also a camera at hand in case something interesting happens or one of my herons flies by.....

This past Friday I went to another "happy place," the beautiful Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, VA, not too far from where I live now, and that is indeed a delightful, peaceful place to spend some time as well.

Indeed, that IS a "happy place," Terri! Yours as well, Nick! Both of you have lovingly tended your gardens and decks, and it's beautiful! My "happy place" is usually my deck, too, but it is just a small one and I don't have any flowers on it, there's room for a couple of chairs and a table and that's about it. When weather conditions are bad I can easily move the plastic table and chairs into a corner to somewhat protect them from the elements. In the warm weather during the spring, summer and early fall I pretty much am out on the deck every afternoon and evening with my iPad and also a camera at hand in case something interesting happens or one of my herons flies by.....

This past Friday I went to another "happy place," the beautiful Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, VA, not too far from where I live now, and that is indeed a delightful, peaceful place to spend some time as well.
I bet your botanical gardens are so pretty. You can grow so many things that can’t survive here.

Yes, the East Coast and the MidAtlantic region is pretty good for a lot of flowers and plants throughout the spring and summer, and some hardy species manage to hang in there throughout the colder months as well. I signed up again at Meadowlark for an annual membership, as it is a place I enjoy going and it is indeed beautiful all year around, even in wintertime. There were flowers in bloom on Friday that will be finished by the next time I go, while there will be other delights awaiting me. I am hoping that the next trip there I will be treated to seeing (and photographing) butterflies all around in the special "Butterfly Garden" savoring the treats that have been planted there especially for them. No action there on Friday, but from previous years I recall that this comes a bit later in the season and it's still early days yet, I think.

Yes, the East Coast and the MidAtlantic region is pretty good for a lot of flowers and plants throughout the spring and summer, and some hardy species manage to hang in there throughout the colder months as well. I signed up again at Meadowlark for an annual membership, as it is a place I enjoy going and it is indeed beautiful all year around, even in wintertime. There were flowers in bloom on Friday that will be finished by the next time I go, while there will be other delights awaiting me. I am hoping that the next trip there I will be treated to seeing (and photographing) butterflies all around in the special "Butterfly Garden" savoring the treats that have been planted there especially for them. No action there on Friday, but from previous years I recall that this comes a bit later in the season and it's still early days yet, I think.
I would love a place like that near me.

Happened to think that while I was sitting on one of the many benches around Meadowlark, this one in a woodsy, partly shaded area, I did shoot a photo, so here's a tiny glimpse of the happy place that is Meadowlark!

View From One of the Benches at Meadowlark.jpeg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom