Happy tenth anniversary, Tysons Apple store!

Back in 2001 Apple entered the retail store arena, and its first store was the Tysons one, in the Tysons Mall in McLean, VA. The Washington Post has had a couple of articles about it. The best one is this one, as it also includes a video of Steve Jobs (sadly much healthier looking than he is now) proudly showing viewers the brand-new store a day or two before its Grand Opening. It's funny to see the iBooks and the iMacs from that time period.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/faster-forward/post/report-apple-makeover-planned-for-10-year-retail-anniversary/2011/05/19/AF5dLB7G_blog.html?hpid=z10

Thanks for the link Connie. I really enjoyed watching the video made some 10 years ago.
It drives one point home to me: unlike many commercials for a "product of the moment", Apple delivered and continues to deliver on everything in that video - and then some. Bravo!

Connie, I don't see you in the video. :wink:
Hee, hee.... I can vaguely remember walking by the Apple store and probably going in a few times out of curiosity but back then Macs seemed so "foreign" to me and I was solidly planted in the world of Microsoft and Windows..... Probably still using WIN 98 SE at that point! LOL! I do remember one time seeing the striking and unusual Cube and also staring at the elegant and beautiful Apple Cinema Display/Studio Display monitors and thinking that they sure didn't look like the dorky monitor I had at home! Now the Cube is a collector's item and I think probably some of those monitors are as well....

Frits, you're sounding more and more like an Apple Fanboy..... Watch out, we're luring you deeper and deeper into The Cult. Here, have some of this tasty Kool-Aid.....

Frits, you're sounding more and more like an Apple Fanboy..... Watch out, we're luring you deeper and deeper into The Cult. Here, have some of this tasty Kool-Aid.....
Bof, no more Fanboy in this than of the Nikon-Canon thing :smile:.
I do like - no, love, my Apple gear (iPad, iPad2, iPod Touch, iPod nano, iPhone 4) for what it does. Not because it says Apple.
If I were to buy new, I would probably take a hard look at a Mac computer. But, thinking about it, I am very pleased with my PC gear (a pretty good photographer's setup). That 27" iMac I saw last week tickled me though. Realizing that it is the DISPLAY and not the COMPUTER that got me, I am now looking at a couple of high end 27" monitors that can do 2560 X 1440.
NEC PA271W and Dell U2711 lead the way...

NEC make good monitors, or at least they used to -- one of my earliest monitors was an NEC and it held up really well for a long time and did the job admirably.

You're quite right to assess a situation and a potential purchase in terms of what the product will do for you, how it will serve your needs.... Sure, the Apple logo is neat to have on one's stuff but if for some reason the product isn't doing what is important to you, then, yes, time to look elsewhere. Since you've already got a pretty current machine set up now that is doing what you want, and basically all that was really attracting you to the iMac was that 27" monitor, well....yeah, maybe now is not the time to make a major OS switch. Buy a new 27" monitor somewhere and use that with your current setup and then in a year or two when you're ready for a new computer, that would be the time to consider a full-out switch. By the way, you DO know that Apple also has 27" freestanding ACDs, too, don't you? That way you could still have a touch of Apple Goodness in your setup......

By the way, you DO know that Apple also has 27" freestanding ACDs, too, don't you? That way you could still have a touch of Apple Goodness in your setup......
You know Connie, I looked at that. If the Apple cinema display 27" would have worked seamlessly on a PC, I might well have considered it. I read up about it and I understand that it is far from straightforward, although at the end it does seem possible. I just don't feel like putting up a fight to makeit work, so it is off the list.
NEC's high end monitors are awsome (that is what I have now - 24"). They are LaCie's really. I would prefer the NEC but I can get the Dell at a lot less $$$. I just need to convince myself that it is top notch - it does look that way!

Oh, that's right, I forgot about the newer display connectors.....While adapters are available for older Macs, I think, yeah, putting it with a PC might be more problematic. Well..... Given a choice between the Dell and the NEC, I'd go with the NEC since you know it's a top-notch product and you've been very happy with what you've got now. Don't worry about the money -- go with the NEC. You deserve the best!

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
snip..............
I do remember one time seeing the striking and unusual Cube and .................
snip............
Ah, the Cube: Proof that SJ is human. :tongue:

Big congrats to Apple on the 10th year of their retail division. Here's a CLASSIC WS blogger idiot blathering about Apple's retail failure. Get this, this JA is still writing financial pieces! Simply amazing!
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_21/b3733059.htm

cheers
JohnG

Ha, ha, I notice the article mentions Gateway's "Country Stores." Um...and where are THOSE now?
I am a Mac Head now for the past 3 years, but I have to admit that I am one of the few that went into the Jersey colored store and bought a Gateway, which my family and I used for many years. It was a good machine. :biggrin:

I am converting my family, which we now have 4 iPhones, 2 MacBook Pros, 3 iPods, and 1 iPad 2. Oh what fun. :smile:

Latest posts

Top Bottom