Hard Disk failures and loss of images

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PGB, Feb 17, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Recently I have had the need to try to recovery data off of several hard drives for a customer. Normally I refer people to a service called ONTrack for data recovery. However due to the sensitive material and urgency I had to proceed myself.

I found an applicaton called R-Studio that works miracles, and is reasonably priced. 79.00 for single user local machine. $179.00 for network drive accessiblilty.

If you have a drive that has been formatted, fdisk'd, reports corrupted partition table this application can possibly recover your data.

The situation that I encountered was the corruption of 1.2TB of data off of a RAID 5 array. Windows reports it as a RAW partition and in reality it was supposed to be NTFS.

This software was able to restore all of the data. I am very pleased with it and thought I would pass this info along.

Check out this link for more info.

http://www.r-tt.com/

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Patrick :

Interesting material. Thanks very much for posting this. More than a terabyte recovered is impressive in such circumstances.

We haven't heard a peep from Harris about his computer woes - wonder if this is applicable to him ? Harris ?

Question for you - how does this compare with Spinrite ? I'm about to invest in some pro-active software - having gone through a brief scare recently with a failing hard drive - and I've not used or seen any other comments about R-Studio.

And, before anyone asks the obvious question, yes, I do use backup software - Retrospect - for my backups. However, the sizes of drives are such that it's also useful to have preparation in place when a hard drive starts to go sour. Note the word, "when", not "if". I've had three HDs crater over twenty years, several start to slowly fail but not catastrophically. Which experience is a good record, all in all, but also still salutory in teaching about disaster preparation (even if I didn't do a different form of that work for a living).

As the old statement goes, "Chance favours the prepared mind." Good advice for photography and hard drives both.

John P.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I've offered to try to recover Harris' data. I think he is going to send his drives with Frank after the Merritt session.

I've never heard of the software that you mention, but will look at it.

I was quite surprised that this has worked as well as it has. Its very fast too!

I might add that this will not help if you have a physically failing drive. There are other tricks that I have come up with in the last several years for that. When I say physically or electrically failing, I mean, not spinning up, or making a terrible ringing or clanking.

I've put drives in the freezer for 30 minutes and got them to spin up enough to recover data. I've also replaced the interface controllers on hard drives themselves with like models and have recovered data.

Its definitely a challenge to work on this stuff but it is fun.

I also wonder if this R studio will recover CF cards that are corrupted. That would be cool!

Thanks,