1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hard drive crash, well not really

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomP, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I have complained about external hard drives here on the café, mainly Western digital and Iomega. Omega seems to be a good unit, but gets quirky, and in two cases has denied me access to the files that I can see listed.

Well the crash was an Omega. Having joined the HD world of television I ws enjoying looking at my images on the new set; the wife really enjoyed the hi res pics and kept me busy all night looking at many images.

when i disconnected the monitor cable I forgot the sub to the 500GB Omega and it flew of the 36" high entertainment center, I turned in time to see it crash to the hard tile floor, landing on it's corner. I was resigned to buying a new HD, but comforted by the knowledge that this HD was just one of 3 identical drives:biggrin:

I was amazed when the Omega sprang to life, apparently no worse for the fall.

I think I would be correct in assuming that the fall would have been fatal if this was the only copy, it just seems to work that way.

2. You are so right! Those darn machines think they are human!!!!

3. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Yep, I have NO doubt that if it was your only drive, it would be toast! That's just murphey's law!

I still wouldn't use this drive though, never know if one of the read heads is a little sketchy now.

4. I think a lot of us give human qualities and personalities to machines, for me it has always been my vehicles. For some reason HDs seem to be a mix of malevolent and benevolent forces:smile::smile:

5. ah yes the ol' 50/50/90 rule. If you have a 50-50 chance then 90% of the time it will not go in your favor...

6. Thats about the truth Bill, but I have to admit I have never heard of that rule before, as I said before if that had been the only copy, your rule would have prevailed for sure:biggrin:

7. Vehicles ARE human--at least that's what mine tell me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.