Hard drive crashed on me :(

But seeing as how i am smart, i have a raid 0 server holding copies of all my videos and photographs.

The whole thing started with a slow corruption. Not sure what caused it, AVG never found any viruses, however my hard drive reported damaged areas.

So in the end, when it was all said and done, it was a total pain in the ***, and it cost me $120.00 but I did not lose a single image or video. I had to reload my programs, but im pretty strict about keeping redundancy.

Be a lesson to everyone, if you dont back up your images, start doing it.

The new hard drive is faster too. :biggrin:

But seeing as how i am smart, i have a raid 0 server holding copies of all my videos and photographs.

The whole thing started with a slow corruption. Not sure what caused it, AVG never found any viruses, however my hard drive reported damaged areas.

So in the end, when it was all said and done, it was a total pain in the ***, and it cost me $120.00 but I did not lose a single image or video. I had to reload my programs, but im pretty strict about keeping redundancy.

Be a lesson to everyone, if you dont back up your images, start doing it.

The new hard drive is faster too. :biggrin:

Can't "ditto" that enough! Sorry to hear this happened, but glad you are covered. Being out $120 (or even more) is cheap compared to the loss of irreplaceable images. It's not a matter when, but if...

Real Name
Paul
Do you copy stuff to the Raid, when you get it or do you have periodic backups that run and save the pictures and videos to the raid? The reason I ask is that, if the latter, and your failure was slow and over time, hopefully there are no corrupted files that got backed up!

You can Google it, but there are a bunch of raid levels. Raid 0 gives better performance (half the info on one drive/half on another), raid 1 gives redundancy (same info written to both drives). Other raid levels use more drives - not as common for home use.

PCM

well apparently my buddy got it mixed up. it IS raid 1. he had to check wikki. now he feels like an idiot for telling mee raid 0. lol

two drives, they are mirrored.

my general workflow is sort of sloppy. When i first got the server i copied all my images on it.

when i get done shooting i usually just throw it in a folder on my desktop. Once things start getting a bit cluttered ill move the folders into my permamant file structure on both the desktop hard drive and the storage server.

im usually within 2-3 weeks current. I suppose there IS a possibility of a few images having issues, havent found any yet though

Ed, software like Cobian or GoodSync can perform those copies for you on an automatic basis. That way you'll be covered in case another disaster strikes. Cobian can even keep multiple versions of the same file (each time it gets changed) so you have older versions to go back to in case of file corruption.

Getting storage outside your computer is the first step (a raid unit is not that secure - I'd advice to have a second backup option as well) - getting it done automatically is the next step.

Ed, software like Cobian or GoodSync can perform those copies for you on an automatic basis. That way you'll be covered in case another disaster strikes. Cobian can even keep multiple versions of the same file (each time it gets changed) so you have older versions to go back to in case of file corruption.

Getting storage outside your computer is the first step (a raid unit is not that secure - I'd advice to have a second backup option as well) - getting it done automatically is the next step.

its better than nothing, as it is i have copies on 3 seperate hard drives. Short of a fire/ flood / EMP bomb, im pretty secure.

ill look into those programs! thank you!

Just to clear stuff up

Raid 0 = all the data are spread in the array of disk, this mean if you have an array of 3 disk and one disk crash, you loose all the data from the 3 disks.

Raid 1 = all the data are replicated on each array of disk, this mean if you have an array of 3 disk, you can have 2 disk crash and loose nothing.

Raid 0 is much faster than raid 1 and much less secure.

There's also the Raid 5 which is a compromise.

I understand hard drives do wear. And the bearings can go. In short, if it moves it can break.

I use time machine for daily back up and two additional redundant drives that I turn on as necessary for more permanent storage.

I never had a failure, but it is like carrying an umbrella. Usually does not rain.

I would recommend periodic backups to DVD/Disc. Hard drives fail for any number of reasons. It's always good to have a disc backup. Also, if you're ever in the market for a new drive, check out the Western Digital Raptors...very fast. The price is slowly coming down on them too since the SSD drives have come out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom